We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation and travelling around Frankfurt

Bengaluru, India
5 posts
Save Topic
Accommodation and travelling around Frankfurt

Hi! I will be in Frankfurt from 1st to 4th Feb and would like to know of cheap and safe staying options close to Central Frankfurt or in Central Frankfurt. Also how does one travel from hostels/hotels to central frankfurt? Do tubes work round the clock and are they safe in the evenings for a solo female traveller?

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,810 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation and travelling around Frankfurt

There are a wide variety of places to stay in Frankfurt, and though many of them are within walking distance of the city center, the public transportation is easy to use too. The city is very safe to walk around in.

For your budget, do you want a hotel or a hostel with shared room. If a hostel, then I would go for the Jugendherberge which is located on the Sachsenhausen side of the river, and gives you a great view of the river, and easy access to the many museums along the river, the city center, and great food in the applwine pubs.

For a budget hotel, I would look at Ibis on the Friedensbruche, Hotel Mirimar, Hamburger Hof, Spener Haus, or Motel One on Hanauerlandstrasse.

Edited: 3:15 am, January 03, 2014
Bengaluru, India
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation and travelling around Frankfurt

Thanks so much for your response! I think I will stick to a hostel. Also this is my first ever trip to Europe and since I have only 4 days to spend I was thinking of taking day trips from Frankfurt to Cologne, Munich, Black forest (not sure whether it will be off limits in Feb). I am contemplating taking a Viator tour only because it is all 'first time' for me. Would you have any suggestions about the trip and how to go about it?

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,133 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation and travelling around Frankfurt

Munich and Black Forest are a bit far away for daytrips. I'd probably do a boat trip up to the Rhine instead.

Bengaluru, India
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation and travelling around Frankfurt

Thanks Quitneedle. Will the Rhine valley cruise be conducted during winters? That was my first choice! Also I have been looking on this site which has lots of brilliant info and can't thank enough to all you destination experts! :)

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
1,946 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation and travelling around Frankfurt

Köln-Düsseldorfer have a very limited winter schedule. The boats only run when a group has booked them, in which case individual passengers can also use them:

k-d.com/en/…

You can also take the train from Frankfurt to places in the Middle Rhine Valley.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation and travelling around Frankfurt

Mainz is close by train and easy to visit by foot. It has 2 train stations, both of which are in decent neighborhoods. Cologne is a nice idea. You might go by a slow train along the Rhine and then (if your budget allows) the fast train back. Wuerzburg is also close and offers a lot. Frankfurt is a great, important city, but more international than most German towns. Don't go back home thinking it is typical.

Bengaluru, India
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation and travelling around Frankfurt

Thanks for such great inputs! Am excited! This is what I think I can do...please check and help me understand whether I am thinking it right...

So I can stay at the Jugendherberge which is located on the Sachsenhausen side of the river which I plan to make my base for 3 nights.

1 DAY - a trip to Cologne - I am assuming this will be a day trip and I can return in the evening (am I right?),

2 DAY - take a slow train along the Rhine and return - how much time does this take to/fro Frankfurt? Can I take a short trip on this day or will this be full day? Are you talking about the Bahn?

3 DAY - Wurzburg, Mainz, Saalburg, Bad Homburg - any one or two what do you suggest?

I leave on 4th Feb Morning from Frankfurt.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,133 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation and travelling around Frankfurt

Those are all daytrip destinations, so that you can return in the evening. Cologne is about 1 hr by ICE, check the schedule at www.bahn.de (you can change the language to English).

I am not sure how easy it is to reach Saalburg by public transport, I always go by car, but as it is up in the Taunus hills it can be quite cold and windy in February. Bad Homburg is a nice town and with a 4th day at hand, I'd probably suggest going to Bad Homburg. But as it is there is Mainz and Würzburg to choose from, Mainz is just round the corner from Frankfurt while you will spend some time on the train going to Würzburg.

If you can't make up your mind, I'll throw in Wiesbaden. Of all the places mentioned, Wiesbaden is the only one that was not destroyed during the war and you get a good impression of what German cities used to look like before they were bombed. It's rare with a city the size of Wiesbaden.

You can also devide your time between Mainz and Wiesbaden as they sit rather close together.

Edited: 12:10 pm, January 03, 2014
Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
1,946 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accommodation and travelling around Frankfurt

There are trains on either side of the Rhine river between Mainz or Wiesbaden and Koblenz. Some of the trains are operated by smaller companies but Deutsche Bahn tickets are valid (or RMV tickets for Bacharach and Rüdesheim). Check out the schedule on https://www.bahn.de/i/view/DEU/en/ and select "local traffic". Popular destinations on the left bank are Bacharach, Oberwesel and St. Goar and Boppard, on the right bank Rüdesheim and Braubach (for the Marksburg). Given the time of the year I suggest you focus on the larger places, e.g. Rüdesheim or Boppard. Even there, many attractions will be closed. You can cross the Rhine by ferry at several locations, e.g. St. Goar to St. Goarshausen.

A search in the Rhineland-Palatinate forum will give you some ideas on what to expect in the Middle Rhine Valley.

10. Re: Accommodation and travelling around Frankfurt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 05, 2015