We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

13 hrs Layover in Frankfurt on Dec 8th

Which Frankfurt hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Princeton, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
13 hrs Layover in Frankfurt on Dec 8th

Hi folks,

I have a rather lengthy layover in Frankfurt on Dec 8. What are some suggestions for places to venture out to the city and what would you recommend for activity? Would anything be open on Sunday? Do you recommend a rental car or taxi or public transportation to go around the city?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 13 hrs Layover in Frankfurt on Dec 8th

Check this out: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187337-i301-k6809…

Shops in downtown Frankfurt are closed on Sunday (at the airport everything's open) but you could visit the christmas market, of course. Museums are also open.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
696 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 13 hrs Layover in Frankfurt on Dec 8th

This link should answer most of your questions tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g187337-i301-k68093…

This time of year, there is also the Christmas Market at the Romerberg (open 11 to 9 on Sunday). Other than the Christmas Market, stores will not be open except at the Hauptbahnhof (main train station) but other attractions will be. Use public transit to get around -- very easy and fast (the link explains how to get from the airport and around the city)

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
70 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 13 hrs Layover in Frankfurt on Dec 8th

I would really recommend the Christmas Market and to get there by public transport. Visit the Old town (Altstadt) and eat at the market Grillschinken, Glühwein, Grillkartoffeln, Honig Milch, etc. and just wonder around. I promise you is worth it and you'll be very happy. :) (Careful with the Glühwein). Happy Holidays.

Princeton, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 13 hrs Layover in Frankfurt on Dec 8th

Thank you everybody for your suggestions, looking forward for the trip.

New York
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 13 hrs Layover in Frankfurt on Dec 8th

Go to Mainz and walk everywhere. Rhine, old town, Roman ruins, cathedral, reasonably priced eating, wine and not appelwoi.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,446 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 13 hrs Layover in Frankfurt on Dec 8th

adventure_vik, what time do you arrive and what time do you leave? maybe you can take a quick city tour of the highlights will help. look at http://www.frankfurtonfoot.com/.

Next year I will be in Frankfurt for a stopover and I intend to do this inexpensive tour.

7. Re: 13 hrs Layover in Frankfurt on Dec 8th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, December 08, 2014