We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to travel from Frankfurt to Paris early January?

Seattle, Washington
1 post
Save Topic
Best way to travel from Frankfurt to Paris early January?

Hi travelers! I have a question about an upcoming visit to Germany I have planned with my boyfriend early January. I'd like to know your advice for the best way to get to Paris for a long weekend? The euro rail rates aren't yet posted for that month, and I'm not sure which train company or route would be the most cost effective, and have also considered renting a car. I see that sixt has locations all over, but after reading some bad reviews about fraudulent damage costs charged after renting, I'm not sure I want to go there. Plus, I'm not sure if the weather is safe enough to drive the roads that time of year. Any advice greatly appreciated!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,872 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to travel from Frankfurt to Paris early January?

Best way is by ICE/TGV high speed trains. You can buy tickets through the DB timetable. But at earliest 92 days before departure. You can play around with a date towards the end of the current 92 days time frame to get an idea about prices etc.

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Start: Frankfurt(Main)Hbf

Destination: Paris Est

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,211 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to travel from Frankfurt to Paris early January?

Fares start at €39 if you book soon after booking opens.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,846 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to travel from Frankfurt to Paris early January?

>The euro rail rates aren't yet posted for that month,

"Euro Rail" is something that does not operate any single train, so please forget about it very quickly.

>and I'm not sure which train company or route would be the most cost effective,

It's not an airline system. You don't get to choose between many "train companies" - any train on that route is based on the cooperation between the German (http://www.bahn.de/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml) and the French rail authorities (http://www.sncf.com/en/passengers). Sometimes one of them has a better offer than another for the same train.

>and have also considered renting a car.

And? Driving takes about 1 1/2 to 2 times as long as the train trip under even best circumstances, the trip is BOOORING (600 km of multilane motorway chock full of trucks with the great view of noise protection walls)... and youa re not going to save anythign - rather spend more - with all the tolls and the fuel you would need.

>I see that sixt has locations all over, but after reading some bad reviews about fraudulent damage costs charged after renting, I'm not sure I want to go there.

ANY rental company has stories like this around them. A rental car with scratches on it is not accepted by customers, so it HAS to be fully repaired, and if you caused the scratch and are not insured, YOU pay. It is not "fraudulent" - just a not very nice but fully legal business practice.

>Plus, I'm not sure if the weather is safe enough to drive the roads that time of year.

This, again, is the least problem. Do you drive in winter in Seattle?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
696 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to travel from Frankfurt to Paris early January?

I would definitely recommend taking the train. We've done with twice now (Frankfurt to Paris) and the trip with the TGV train is very fast and comfortable. You certainly couldn't drive as fast and you don't have to stop for food/bathroom breaks. You can read/relax all the way and no need to worry about parking, driving in Paris.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
284 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to travel from Frankfurt to Paris early January?

Inter City train all the way. Very comfortable, punctual and fast. Btw Man_in_Seat_61 i'm a massive fan, you've helped plan me every trip i've ever been on - your website is an excellent tool! What can I say, i'm starstruck.

6. Re: Best way to travel from Frankfurt to Paris early January?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, August 12, 2014