We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train station and u bahn stations

Which Frankfurt hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
nb
Level Contributor
433 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
train station and u bahn stations

Well the forum readers probably have never heard this question before-Are there stairs in the Frankfurt (main station) Hbf to go downstairs to get the S bahn, I am having a hard time telling from the DB layout map. My vertigo/phobia thing again. Also would I encounter escalators at various U bahn stops ?I love to travel but get intimidated because of my "issues" . I'm not even crazy about elevators and prefer stairs but CAN take an elevator. I know it's a bad phobia for someone to have who likes to travel but that is my reality! Thanks everyone . Just trying to "scope" things out so I can make alternate arrangements if I have to. Would not want to get on the Sbahn at the airport and then find my only option on arriving at the train station is an escalator.....My palms are sweating as I am thinking about this so you know how serious a problem this is for me, I hope you can allay some of my fears. It does take away a bit from some of my excitement about our trip unfortunately so that is a shame. Anyhow your input is much appreciated!

Salzburg, Austria
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: train station and u bahn stations

Well, it depends on the station and entrances/exits.

It can look like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVTxTGd-Mhk

but, sadly, mostly like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4--fvFVqJc

Must be painful for you, but i guess 99% of the people like escalators more than stairs.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,558 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train station and u bahn stations

There are stairs at every station, but because there are often multiple entrances, you may have to go to one of the other entrances, though commonly each entrance will have steps to use running right next to the escalator. People in a hurry tend to use the stairs, because people on the escalators block the way. Technically, the rule says to stand on the right and pass on the left, but this is often ignored. So, many people just use the stairs instead, so they can go quickly. Lots of people like the stairs too, as it keeps one fit to climb steps rather than ride them.

I ride that escalator in the video all the time, but right around the corner from it, are the stairs. You just don't see them in this video.

Edited: 12:47 am, May 11, 2013
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train station and u bahn stations

There are stairs, escalators and lifts, although the lifts are well hidden most of the time.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,550 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: train station and u bahn stations

For important stations in Frankfurt you can find here station plans as PDF documents. Showing stairs, escalators and lifts.

rmv.de/en/…Bahnhoefe_und_Haltestellen.html

e.g. here the station plan for Frankfurt Hauptwache

rmv.de/auskunft/…Frankfurt-Hauptwache.pdf

nb
Level Contributor
433 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train station and u bahn stations

Thanks for understanding! Don't know why, walters , but couldn't get the video to play (maybe just as well???) Thanks so very much Bornheimgirl, Quiltneedle and abalada. You guys are the best!. It is amazing the things you can find on the internet if you know where to look. BTW I have discovered " google translate" and have learned that I am hopeless at German, it seems so hard. ( Luckily for me and for the people of Frankfurt , I understand that a lot of English is spoken here.)Even after listening to some phrases a dozen times there are things I still cannot repeat correctly. In any event DANKE !- think I will be able to get that one correct and as long as my husband can say "BIER" all will be well.....

Sydney NSW
Level Contributor
8 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train station and u bahn stations

Some great replies which have helped me sort out my planning as well. A bit shocked at the price of a single ticket for 3 stops...12.5 Euro!

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,558 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train station and u bahn stations

Where and for what are you checking tickets? What website are you looking at and where did you want to go?

In Frankfurt itself, you can buy an all day ticket for 1 person for 6.40, and for a group of up to 5 people for 9.50. A one way ticket that covers everything between point A & B, as long as you stay in Frankfurt and finish your journey within a certain amount of time (not round-trip, just one way) is 2.60.

Edited: 11:45 pm, May 14, 2013
Sydney NSW
Level Contributor
8 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train station and u bahn stations

Sorry Bornheimgirl, I have just made another search using links in previous posts and the fare comes to 4.25 Euro, That sounds much better.

Is the fare applicable to both underground and tram or just one or the other? :)

Frankfurt
Level Contributor
535 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: train station and u bahn stations

4,25 is the price to Frankfurt airport. This is correct as the airport is just outside the city zone (unless you are travelling on a season ticket). Bornheimgirls info about the price is correct for trips inside the city zone (zone 50).

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: train station and u bahn stations

It applies to underground, tram, S-Bahn and busses within the RMV.