We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train station layout

Which Frankfurt hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
nb
Level Contributor
434 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Train station layout

Hi Would anyone know of a web link that shows the layout (in English) of the Frankfurt main train station (Hbf). I understand it is huge and therefore intimidating to me. I don't want to waste so much time trying to find my platforms to go Heidelberg, Mainz and Rudesheim that I miss my trains . Approx. how much time should I allow, once I enter the station, to purchase my ticket and get myself where I need to be? When you come from a small town of 50,000 people it is a bit overwhelming. If anyone knows a further website that can give advice on understanding the rail system a bit better I would very much appreciate it. Thanks!

Bayerisch Eisenstein
Level Contributor
359 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Train station layout

Www.bahnhof.de/?lang=en

Type frankfurt hbf in the search box to go to map showing the station location. Click on the DB logo on the map to open more details about the station including a plan .

Bayerisch Eisenstein
Level Contributor
359 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Train station layout

Www.bahnhof.de/?lang=en

Type frankfurt hbf in the search box to go to map showing the station location. Click on the DB logo on the map to open more details about the station includitng a plan . Scroll down to see plan of station.

Edited: 1:09 am, April 29, 2013
Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,636 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train station layout

Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof is a dead end station. All the tracks end at a common area. Thus, they are all lined up and it very easy to find your way. There are 24 tracks in all, so all you have to do is get off the train, walk to the end, and then go to your next track. Obviously, if you come in on track 1, and your next train is on track 24, you will need about 5 min. time. The station may be big, but it is easy to see where everything is located. You can't get lost here.

If you are going to Ruedesheim, the train always leaves every hour, from track 24. So, 08:53, 09:53, 10:53, etc.

Trains to Mainz, may leave from upstairs if it is a Regional train, or they may be an S-bahn leaving from downstairs, usually track 103. There are departure boards hanging over the escalators upstairs that direct you to these tracks.

Find the local train schedules to Mainz or Ruedesheim here, and just switch the website into English:

www.rmv.de

You could also go to Youtube and type in Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof so you can get a good view and feel for the station.

Edited: 2:14 am, April 29, 2013
nb
Level Contributor
434 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train station layout

Thank you Clairejerry- good to see the layout .Although I don't understand any of the German notations , I am getting a better understanding of the station which helps to lessen my anxiety. And there are some pictograms and most importantly for me an indicator in English as to where the tourist info booth is- they will probably regret meeting such a confused traveller as myself.....Anyhow thanks again.

nb
Level Contributor
434 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train station layout

Thanks also to you Bornheim girl- I am really getting to rely on you. Between you and Clairejerry I do feel a little less intimidated. So in the next few weeks or so I am going to investigate the trains and -be forewarned -I may have a few further questions. You (and many other posters) provide such great info, it is a real service to visitors . So be assured you are all appreciated.

6. Re: Train station layout

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 01, 2014