We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Specific Layover Itinerary-Please review/advise

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
201 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Specific Layover Itinerary-Please review/advise

Hi,

I've poked around on here and other sites,and have an idea of some of the things I'd like to (try)do. I'm wondering if those who have had similar layovers,or the experts,can advise me on the best way to organize the sights,or if things are too far out of the way to see during the time allowed.

I'm going to be on a layover on a Monday,arriving at (I think) terminal 1 at 530am. My outbound flight leaves at 345pm(European destination) from Terminal 1 or 2. I will have just a carry on to store at the left luggage.

I have gathered that Hauptwache is the main place for a layover,and would like to see,but what is there specifically to see?Shops,restaurants,pubs,etc? I would like to walk along the river,if there is a riverwalk,and go up the Main Tower.

A few other sights that caught my interest are the Wertheim House,Old Opera House,and Eschenheim Tower.Are any of these possible to fit in the day?How much are each of these attractions,and what subway routes/walking paths would I take to get to any?

Last but not least,I have someone that collects wineglasses from various places(with the places name on it),which are usually quite hard to find.I told her the odds of finding one in Frankfurt were next to impossible,but would try to get a beer glass-any suggestions on where to get one?

Thanks for any/all tips. i'm usually eager to plot everything out myself,but having limited time,and no german language skills whatsoever,I can use any tips!

Thanks,

Stacey

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,358 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Specific Layover Itinerary-Please review/advise

Frankfurt city tour leaflet

frankfurt.de/sixcms/media.php/738/frankfurt_…

Hauptwache is #18. Hauptwache is at the main shopping street the Zeil (streets in yellow are pedestrian zones).

Distance Hauptwache to the river Main is approx. 750 meters.

Main Tower is south of the Old Opera House (#19) at Neue Mainzer Str., roughly at the space between "Neue" and "Mainzer".

> collects wineglasses

typical for Frankfurt would be an apple wine glass

frankfurt.de/fm/867/aepplerglaeser_wappen.jpg

but you may also be able to find wine glasses

- the Römer

http://frankfurt.de/sixcms/detail.php?id=317578&_ffmpar[_id_inhalt]=5021019

- a Römer (a type of wine glass)

de.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%B6mer_%28Glas%29

at the Römer square you can find also a number of souvenir shops

an apple wine souvenir shop

possmann.de/de/frankfurt/ebbelwoi-fan-shop

and here photos from another one

www.kinkel.biz/souvenirs-gulati/souvenir1.htm

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
201 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Specific Layover Itinerary-Please review/advise

Thank you!!!

Bozeman, Montana
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Specific Layover Itinerary-Please review/advise

Did you layover work out well for you? We arrive on Sunday, August 10th 3pm on United from San Francisco and depart at 10:05pm on Ethiopian. I believe both are Terminal 1B. My main concerns are time and luggage. Was it pretty quick to get through passport control? Was it simple to store your luggage and retrieve it. I'm worried about putting it in one place when we arrive and needing to somewhere completely different for departure and not being able to get to our bags. Advice?

Edited: 12:58 pm, August 03, 2013
4. Re: Specific Layover Itinerary-Please review/advise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 05, 2014