We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frankfurt with kids (ages 12 and 13)

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Frankfurt with kids (ages 12 and 13)

I am going to be in Frankfurt with my kids (ages 12 and 13 ) in July for 3 days .

I am trying to create an itinerary which will include maybe one full day guided tour to Rothenburg and maybe 2 half days with a River cruise and day tours to maybe Heidelberg or Mainz . Plus sightseeing in Frankfurt ... I looked only at Viator guided tours . Any other suggestions? Thank you very much in advance!

Edited: 10:55 pm, March 06, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Rothenburg
Rothenburg
Middle Franconia, Germany
Heidelberg
Heidelberg
Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany
Mainz
Mainz
Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany
Frankfurt on Foot Walking Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Gray Line Frankfurt Sightseeing
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours
Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Frankfurt with kids (ages 12 and 13)

Viator is a middleman and only sells tours from other companies, they have no tours of their own. In this case, for Frankfurt and the tours to Heidelberg and the Rhine, they are selling tours done by a company called ETS. These are bus tours, and you can read their reviews here on Trip Advisor. Many of the reviews are not very good and some are down right awful. There are other companies that will offer you a far, far better experience for less money.

That said, all of those places on your list are easy to reach on your own, without needing to speak any German. You can head off to the Rhine by train from Frankfurt, take a ship down the Rhine to St. Goar and let the kids explore Burg Rhinefels, then train back to Frankfurt. Mainz is an easy 45 min. S-bahn trip away and Heidelberg is about an hour. All of these places are used to English speaking tourists visiting them.

Mentioned in this post
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Heidelberg
Heidelberg
Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany
Mainz
Mainz
Fresno, California
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Frankfurt with kids (ages 12 and 13)

Bornheimgirl,

thank you so much for your reply!

It is beginning to look like we can just take a train ride and a river cruse . What are the better recommended tour companies?

Lana

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
232 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Frankfurt with kids (ages 12 and 13)

you really don't need a company to take you around, Germany is very easy to get around and it is safe for a Mother with children, you could even rent a car with a GPS for the few days and drive to Rothenburg o. d. Tauber and take in the sites on the way and stop if you see something that is of interest to you, just do a little research and you can do it, I have done it many times even alone and I am planning on going again.

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Rothenburg
Rothenburg
Fresno, California
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Frankfurt with kids (ages 12 and 13)

Thank you for your reply!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,848 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Frankfurt with kids (ages 12 and 13)

You could base yourself also in Mainz. Frankfurt Airport is between Franfkurt and Mainz. For the Middle Rhine Valley (boat trip, castles, medieval towns) Mainz is the better base.

mainz.de/WGAPublisher/…tourismus

Rothenburg ob der Tauber is quite far for a day trip from Frankfurt. And the town in the Middle Rhine Valley are no less authentic or cute.

The main boat companies on the Middle Rhine are Köln-Düsseldorf (KD) and Bingen-Rüdesheimer.

http://www.k-d.de

http://www.bingen-ruedesheimer.de/

See my answers in the below discussions for some more ideas what to do with kids in this area

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187393-i1515-k620…

…virtualtourist.com/Germany-11-2-10038004/He…

Mentioned in this post
Frankfurt Airport Tours
Frankfurt Airport Tours
115 Reviews
Frankfurt, Germany
Rhine Valley
Rhine Valley
242 Reviews
Mainz
Mainz
Rothenburg
Rothenburg
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Frankfurt with kids (ages 12 and 13)

If you want a medieval walled town, you could also go to Büdingen, which is only a 1 hour train trip from Frankfurt. Book a tour with the tourist office there in English, costs about 41 euro and they will take you and your kids inside the walls of the city, and up on the Witches Tower. This is a really cool experience.

Another site that is near Frankfurt would be the Saalburg, a reconstructed Roman fort in Bad Homburg.

www.saalburgmuseum.de/english/sb_en_home.html

For a unique day, try one of the Fun Forests. Your kids will love them and you might enjoy them too. I know I do. There is one in Bad Homburg, one in Offenbach.

kletterwald-taunus.de/galerie/galerie09.html

Mentioned in this post
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
7. Re: Frankfurt with kids (ages 12 and 13)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 09, 2014