We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frankfurt advice

Centurion
Level Contributor
52 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Frankfurt advice

WE will be staying in Frankfurt for 2 days in .July

Which area is the best to stay if we plan to make use of public transport?Is it worth the money to do a boat cruise for and hour or so.

Should try and see surrounding countryside or should we focus on Frankfurt itself?

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
18 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Frankfurt advice

The Frankfurt transportation system is compact and plentiful and goes everywhere, so anywhere you stay you can either use the trolleys or underground. I don't know about cruises in Frankfurt...

As far as countryside versus Frankfurt, I don't think you need two days in Frankfurt unless you need to see something specifically there, like the Stadel art museum etc. I would spend one day in Frankfurt, seeing the old town square and maybe an hour cruise if it is affordable. Then, you can take really easy day trips on the train that are super close. Heidelberg, or Mainz,

Since it will be July the big KD cruises will be going up the Rhine and THAT is worth doing. You can get the ship from Mainz and just go up north about an hour...you will see TONS of castles on the way and back, and I believe you can hop on and off the ship. Truly stunning.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,916 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Frankfurt advice

You could do a trip to the Middle Rhine Valley

http://www.welterbe-mittelrheintal.de/

and make a boat cruise there. E.g. from Bingen or Rüdesheim to Braubach.

http://www.k-d.de/english/home/

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
696 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Frankfurt advice

I felt the Rhine cruise we went on was very good but you need more than an hour in total. You first need to take a train to Bingen or Rudesheim and then from there you can chose how long the cruise is so you could do just an hour or so of actual cruising -- approximately one hour would take you to Oberwesel -- a very nice Rhine village with a beautiful castle/hotel that is worth exploring (although it's a steep walk up). They have an excellent restaurant at the castle and there area also nice places to taste wine in the village. Then you take the train back. All in all, it's a good day-long trip. You could also go 30 minutes more to St. Goar, which is more popular with tourists.

To be honest I wasn't keen on a Rhine tour at first and we only went because my MIL wanted to go but I really did enjoy it. The views are pretty fantastic. There are castle every few minutes and the vineyards are nice as well. The KD boats can be crowded especially on nice summer weekends.

4. Re: Frankfurt advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 28, 2014