We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Frankfurt Airport to Baden-Baden - How far?

portland, oregon
Level Contributor
94 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from Frankfurt Airport to Baden-Baden - How far?

I'm arriving to Frankfurt airport on Sunday, next June 23rd at 2pm. I plan to rent a car and drive down to Baden-Baden. I'm touring the Black Forest region and would like to get out of Frankfurt right away. My question - is the drive to Baden-Baden really only about 1.5 to 2 hours? I figure that by the time we get through customs and get our car, it will be around 4pm. I'm hoping we can arrive in Baden-Baden by 6pm or so - also, I'm hoping that traffic will be light since we will be driving on a Sunday. We are driving to the Hotel am Markt in Baden Baden.

Mentioned in this post
Frankfurt Airport Tours
Frankfurt Airport Tours
115 Reviews
Frankfurt, Germany
Baden-Baden
Baden-Baden
Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany
Black Forest
Black Forest
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Frankfurt on Foot Walking Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Gray Line Frankfurt Sightseeing
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours
Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Frankfurt Airport to Baden-Baden - How far?

Hi,

I'd plan on about 2 hours for the drive. You never know when there's going to be a "Stau"--traffic jam--on the Autobahn. Also, you may want to make a rest stop or two along the way.

I don't know how you fare coming from the west coast to Frankfurt when it comes to jet lag, but you don't want to push yourself by hopping on the Autobahn and having to pay full attention to the road as cars whiz by you at 100+ mph while your mind is still somewhere over Newfoundland.

I made the trip from San Diego to Frankfurt at the beginning of the month and had to make a two hour drive to my family's hometown, and I took my time and stopped a couple of times even though it was a short distance.

One other option you may consider is taking the train out of the Frankfurt airport directly to Baden-Baden, and then renting a car out of Baden-Baden the next morning. (It would save a day of car rental costs, but you may incur one-way drop off fees if you plan on returning the car to Frankfurt. Still, on my one-way rental earlier this month (FRA to Wurzburg), the one-way fee was only 12 euros, much cheaper than a full day. That was with SIXT car rental.)

Hope that helps. Enjoy planning!

Mentioned in this post
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Frankfurt Airport Tours
Frankfurt Airport Tours
115 Reviews
Frankfurt, Germany
Baden-Baden
Baden-Baden
Frankfurt Intl Airport
Frankfurt Intl Airport
Frankfurt, Germany
Wurzburg
Wurzburg
Lower Franconia, Germany
Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,420 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Frankfurt Airport to Baden-Baden - How far?

Count more on 2 hours, you arrive on a sunday so have fewer trucks on the Autobahn, but as #1 wrote driving in Germany is more stressful than in the US and you have to take jetlag into consideration.

On the other hand I think only the first 20-30 km are without speedlimit, 4 lane road, after that it's down to 120 km/h the rest of your way.

Don't hold your lane, drive on the right, but never pass a car on the right, just move over to the left for passing a car and check your mirrows twice before going to the left lane, even with speed limits in place there might be a fast one coming and the 100+ mph are no joke.

www.gettingaroundgermany.info/autobahn.shtml this might help to get a general idea.

Edited: 2:10 pm, December 22, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,846 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Frankfurt Airport to Baden-Baden - How far?

Arriving with jetlag I would also favor the train option. Check if your airline offers Rail&Fly tickets.

bahn.de/i/…rail_and_fly.shtml

From Baden-Baden train station you can take a taxi or a city bus (stop Leopoldsplatz - served by nearly a dozen of city bus lines) to your hotel.

Traffic on the autobahn won't be that light

- Sunday day trippers returning home

- weekend commuters returning to work

- some north German states (and maybe other northern countries) have already summer school holidays and the A5 is one of the major north-south axis.

The major car rental companies have all branches in Baden-Baden. With them you pay also no drop off fees inside Germany (apart from islands).

Edited: 2:32 pm, December 22, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Baden-Baden
Baden-Baden
Germany
Germany
Europe
portland, oregon
Level Contributor
94 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from Frankfurt Airport to Baden-Baden - How far?

Thank you everyone for your great advice! I will definitely take the train to Baden-Baden - does anyone know how frequently trains run from Frankfurt to Baden-Baden and whether I need to buy the train ticket in advance of arrival or if I can just buy it when I get there?

Mentioned in this post
Baden-Baden
Baden-Baden
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from Frankfurt Airport to Baden-Baden - How far?

Use www.bahn.de for schedules and prices.

To:Baden-Baden

Standard fare tickets are always available - they may be cheap e r if bought in advance, but it is too risky if your flight is delayed, as the cheap tickets are only issued for the specific train. It is way too early anyway.

Edited: 6:52 pm, December 22, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Frankfurt Airport Tours
Frankfurt Airport Tours
115 Reviews
Frankfurt, Germany
Baden-Baden
Baden-Baden
Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,420 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive from Frankfurt Airport to Baden-Baden - How far?

Change the page given above to english and put in Frankfurt/Flugh it doesn't give airport as an option.

Mentioned in this post
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Freiburg im...
Level Contributor
2,728 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive from Frankfurt Airport to Baden-Baden - How far?

If you'll have to drag luggage around, consider taking a taxi from Baden-Baden station to the Hotel Am Markt. The hotel is situated uphill and you'd either have to struggle with stairs or with a steepish cobblestone road.

Taxi fare is about € 15.--.

Edited: 5:56 am, December 23, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Baden-Baden
Baden-Baden
Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,843 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive from Frankfurt Airport to Baden-Baden - How far?

pnw: "I plan to rent a car and drive down to Baden-Baden. I'm touring the Black Forest region..."

Agree with the others that driving is not a good plan immediately after arrival. Also, the Hotel am Markt charges a daily fee for parking in one of its 5 spaces (which will likely be taken when you get there, which probably means paid parking elsewhere in town.) The train is the better choice.

That said Baden-Baden itself isn't very convenient by train either, especially if you plan to use it as a base for touring the Black Forest; it's on the periphery of the northern BF, and it requires a bus or taxi transfer between the old town and the 5 km distant B-B train station.

The Hotel am Markt is reasonably priced, but Baden-Baden generally tends to be a pricey, overtouristed spot that may not interest you that much anyway unless you want a spa treatment or have an itch to gamble or patronize flashy jewelry and clothing shops. B-B is very prominent in tour books, but there are many other better-located and more charming towns in this more traditional part of the country, many with spa facilities, if that's what you seek, and I'd encourage you to consider other options.

The Black Forest Railway is a scenic route that cuts through the heart of the BF. Stay in a village there and you can reach most BF destinations quite easily. I see that in another post you mention plans to visit Strasbourg. Gengenbach, an old walled town with towers, cobblestones and half-timbered buildings, lies on the BF railway and would make a great base for trips to Strasbourg, Freiburg, and throughout the BF; there are several hotel and inn choices as well as inexpensive, homey B&B's and apartments like this one (35€/night for 2): http://www.fewo-gengenbach.de/en/info.html

Also, you'd be able to do daytrips by train and bus in the BF region at no charge, since G'bach is one of the towns that offers guests the free KONUS card: http://www.blackforest-tourism.com/konus

BF Railway and towns: black-forest-travel.com/places-of-interest/b…

The BF is crisscrossed by rail lines and is easy to get around by train; the BF railway is the #4 line between Offenburg and Villingen on this diagram: www.schwarzwald.com/karte/bahnlinien.gif

Gengenbach: http://www.stadt-gengenbach.de/en/tourism/

Other nearby towns and places of interest not mentioned at the BF railway site above:

Schiltach: http://www.black-forest-travel.com/schiltach/

Villingen: black-forest-travel.com/villingen-schwenning…

Haslach (near Vogtsbauernhof open air museum): http://www.black-forest-travel.com/haslach/

Vogtsbauernhof: www.bensbauernhof.com/openairmuseums.html

I find Ben's trip reports on the BF very helpful. Here's one of them:

bensbauernhof.com/germanybyrailandbus2011.ht…

Mentioned in this post
Baden-Baden
Baden-Baden
Black Forest
Black Forest
Strasbourg
Strasbourg
Bas-Rhin, France
portland, oregon
Level Contributor
94 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drive from Frankfurt Airport to Baden-Baden - How far?

Thank you everyone for your very helpful advice and suggestions. The train sounds best for us. We are only planning on being in Baden-Baden for 2 nights and then we plan to go to Staufen or Freiburg to explore the rest of the Black Forest. Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Baden-Baden
Baden-Baden
Black Forest
Black Forest