We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from Frankfurt outside Germany

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling from Frankfurt outside Germany

Would anyone be able to recommend tour operators or websites that let you buy overnight packages for travel from Frankfurt to cities outside Germany?

We will fly into FRA on Dec 23rd and leave on the 1st and would like to go on a trip outside of Germany for a few days but I am having difficulty finding a tour package. The last option is to plan a few days on my own but that is probably not a good idea. :-D

Also, can anyone recommend an area outside of Germany which would be fun for 2-3 days? (Excluding Paris) We will probably do a lot of day trips while we are in Frankfurt so will cover a lot of things within driving distance.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,261 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from Frankfurt outside Germany

There are direct trains between Frankfurt and Amsterdam. The 7:27 train gets there at 11:26. Advance-sale tickets are here; type in "FRANKFURT(MAIN)" as your start, Amsterdam Centraal as your destination:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

You can get a tour of Amsterdam once you're in Amsterdam.

English is widely spoken, and you'll have no trouble gettting around there.

That said, with just 9 days, I think I'd spend them all in Germany.

Edited: 9:00 am, December 13, 2012
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling from Frankfurt outside Germany

Thank you! I think this will be the first of a few more trips to Germany over the years so we're going to spread out things we do in Germany.

I was thinking we would go to Munich for a few days and then take a train to Vienna and stay there for a few days. Are trains easy to book?

Edited: 10:24 am, December 14, 2012
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,358 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling from Frankfurt outside Germany

> Are trains easy to book?

You don't have to book trains in Germany and Austria at all. You can just buy a ticket and hop on. Standard fare tickets cannot sell out.

If you buy train tickets for trips like Frankfurt to Munich or Munich to Vienna in advance you may get however discounted specials. Unlike standard fare tickets these specials are however only good for the connection bought for.

"Booking" in the sense of "reserving a seat" on a train is in both countries completely independent from "buying a train ticket". You can do both tasks together. But this is no must. While it is a must to have a train ticket it is no must to reserve a seat. Albeit at peak times for longer trips a good idea (costs EUR 4,00). Seat reservations are only possible on long distance trains: IC, EC, ICE, RJ.

Edited: 2:02 pm, December 14, 2012
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,399 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling from Frankfurt outside Germany

"The last option is to plan a few days on my own but that is probably not a good idea."

Why not? Independent travel isn't hard - you decide where you want to go, get a hotel room, figure out transportation, and go.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling from Frankfurt outside Germany

Thanks for the info!

6. Re: Traveling from Frankfurt outside Germany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, December 23, 2013