We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frankfurt area for a week

Sussex, England
Level Contributor
61 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Frankfurt area for a week

Hi,

My husband and I are planning to spend a week in Frankfurt from Saturday 1st December. We're planning on spending a few days in Frankfurt at the Christmas markets and doing things like the Jewish museums, Zoo, Palmenhaus, Communications Museum and Sachsenhausen. We are planning on spending the rest of the days doing day trips to Mainz, Wiesbaden, Heidelberg and some of the towns in the Taunus region (Bad Homberg, Kronberg etc). Is there anywhere else we are missing? We like small scenic towns, christmas markets, castles, some museums etc.

As these places are quite spaced out, I'm not sure where the best place to stay would be? Should we base ourselves in Frankfurt and travel each day or spend half the time in Frankfurt and then move to another base for the rest of the week? If so, where would you suggest?

Then there's the issue of transport! Is it possible to get a weekly travel pass that covers all of the RMV region, buses and trams as well as the u and s bahn?Would a Frankfurt card cover the outer reaches of the S-bahn - i.e Mainz or Wiesbaden? I think I'm right in thinking that Heidelberg is outside of the RMV zone so would need a different ticket. Do you think a car to get to Heidelberg would be useful or more of a hindrence?

Thanks for your help.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,894 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Frankfurt area for a week

For that 1st weekend, I think I would take the train up to Idstein on Sunday for their Christmas market. It is one of my favorites, as it winds around cobble stone streets and the town is chock full of half timbered buildings. It is one of the towns on the Fachwerk Route that runs through Germany.

Museums are mostly closed on Mondays, but the Palmengarten is open.

If you are traveling around, I would just get a group ticket for the various towns. For example, if you wanted to go up the Rhine to Rüdesheim, an all day group ticket will run about 30 euro or so, with an RMV ticket.

Also, on on Sat. there will be the Pealing of the Bells in Frankfurt at 16:30. This is 50 bells in 10 of the downtown churches, ringing together for 30 min. Lots of fun, and interesting to hear the difference in the bells, as you move around.

Other towns to visit would be Bad Homburg, Mainz, Wiesbaden, Büdingen, Marburg, Heidelberg or Würzburg.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
32 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Frankfurt area for a week

If you get a rental car for a couple days I suggest the following just outside

of Frankfurt. They are possible with public but it's a bit of a pain (although school classes manage to get out here on public)

1.Hessenpark http://www.hessenpark.de/index.php?id=english

2. Saalburg (excavated Roman ruins) www.saalburgmuseum.de/english/home_engl.htm I especially like this one because people don't usually think about the Romans being here in Germany

You are right about Frankfurt having excellent museums . I like the Städel Museum for masterpieces

If you go to Mainz, I like the Museum of Ancient Ship Building (Romans had a base in Mainz), the Landesmuseum, and the Gutenberg museum (if you don't have time for the Gutenberg museum, you can stop in the print shop and see an old press).

3. Re: Frankfurt area for a week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, November 13, 2013