We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taunus Mountains

Charles Town WV
Level Contributor
120 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Taunus Mountains

I spent two years (1958-59) in Frankfurt and we often took a drive up the Taunus mountains on a road that took us through a small town that had the ruins of a castle (or some such building) then on through the beautiful forest and then back down the mountain not far from Frankfurt. Does that sound familiar to anyone? If so what was the village. I have looked at Konigstein but it quite a bit larger than I remember the village being, but that could easily be so after all these years. We are planning a trip to Frankfurt next spring and I would like to make that drive again.

Frankfurt
Level Contributor
543 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taunus Mountains

Kronberg has a nice castle, too. There is a list of castles on the following Wikipedia page.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_castles_in_Hesse

Have a look at the Hochtaunuskreis section and see if any of them ring a bell.

Charles Town WV
Level Contributor
120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Taunus Mountains

Thanks for the Link and info. I visited a great many palaces and castles while in Germany and many of them were listed and makes me want to go back to them . What I saw in the Taunus, however, were ruins and I really cannot remember what they looked like enough to recognize them . I just remember that the road from Frankfourt crested at the top of the mountain at the ruins and then turned left then traveled through a small village and then into the forest. We were always so amazed that the forest floor always looked as if had been trimmed of all underbrush and swept with a broom. Thanks again for the help.

Charles Town WV
Level Contributor
120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Taunus Mountains

Afelwein: I just became conscious of you web name. I spend many wonderful evenings at Dauth-Schneider in Sachenhousen drinking what we called (spelled phonetically) afelwoie. I look at the pictures now and it is no way near like it was back the. It was actually a very small venue with very long tables were everyone sat together and often locked arms and swayed back and forth while singing.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,934 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taunus Mountains

Both Kronberg and Königstein have grown a lot over the past 50 years, but only Königstein has a ruin. The castle in Kronberg is intact.

Could it possibly be Eppstein? The ruin there is quite nice.

Are you sure it was the Taunus mountains, and not something South of Frankfurt, like Burg Frankenstein? Wonderful ruin with stunning views, but it is near Darmstadt.

Frankfurt
Level Contributor
543 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taunus Mountains

I am sure Dauth-Schneider has changed a lot. One of the owners is even Irish. Still a nice place to go to though.

Good point about Kronberg, Bornheimgirl :-).

Another one I just remembered is Falkenstein, that is quite close to the woods.

Charles Town WV
Level Contributor
120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Taunus Mountains

Bornheimgirl:It was quite a long time ago and, of course, at 78 my memory is not that good but I am sure that it was the Taunus Mountains. It was a circular trip that could be made in an hour or two. I may have put too much emphasis on the ruins. I mentioned that only as an aid to identifying the town and the route. It was the trip up the mountain, through the small village, through the beautiful forest and then down the mountain and back to Frankfurt that was so much worth doing again. From your post it sounds to me as if it is either Konigstein or Eppstein. I did visit Burg Frankenstein along with many, many more beautiful castles. Burg Frankenstein was indeed a beautiful experience. While I was not able to visit all of the castles as I was not just a tourist, the one that stands out most in my mind is Hohenzollern Schloss, which I will definitely visit again. Thank you so much for your kind response. BTW, how were you able to get the umlaut in Konigstein.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,934 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taunus Mountains

I have a German keyboard, but I used to know how to do it with an American keyboard. Maybe someone will offer up the combination of keys that will get you an umlaut, since I have forgotten.

Charles Town WV
Level Contributor
120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Taunus Mountains

Afelwein: I will certainly go to Dauth-Schneider regardless of the changes. At my age I am accustomed to finding things not being as I remember them. Even my home town which was huge when I was growing up, has shrunk to a very small village. LOL. As Wolfe said, 'You can't go home agan." but I have ever intention of retracing as many of my memories in Germany as I can, and fortunately, I can even visit a couple of places that were not free to visit when I was there. Have a wonderful day.

Charles Town WV
Level Contributor
120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Taunus Mountains

Apfelwein and Bonheimgirl: I spent a couple of hours researching and using Mapquest and it is apparent to me (as it was probably apparent to your both from the beginning) that the route I was talking about has been absorbed by a maze of new roads. However, I am pretty certain that Konigstein was the village on the route. Using mapquest I have mapped a trip from Frankfurt to Nonigstein, on to Eppstein and then from Eppstein back to Frankfurt. I am sure that will cover as much beautiful scenery as I could hope to see. Essentially it is a route involving B44, B8, A648 and A66 to Konigstein (14.60 miles and about 22 minutes,) then B455 for the greater part to Eppstein (5.91 miles in about 13 minutes) and finally a mixture of A66, A648, B8 and B44 back to Frankfurt (16.46 miles in 32 minutes.) Thank you both for your help. I would not have been able to do it without your input. Before my plans are final, I may expand this into a longer trip. You were both very helpful.

Charles Town WV
Level Contributor
120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Taunus Mountains

I may have lost my audience here but they were very helpful . They forced me to go to a map of Germany and get an orientation. I was not really aware of where the Taunus Mountains were; north, south , east o west of Frankfurt. As we will be coming from the UK and the north-west, it will be more practical to go first to Eppstein and Konigstein instead of going to Frankfurt and then back to them. It also seems that an overnight stay at either of the towns would fit in and be enjoyable. . Of the two towns, which would anyone think more time should be spent and also anywhere to stay the night in the recommended town would be helpful