We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never rent from Dollar Rent a Car/Terstappen - Frankfurt!

Israel
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Never rent from Dollar Rent a Car/Terstappen - Frankfurt!

My family and in laws planned a vacation in Germany for a week. 7 people in all.

I made an online reservation with arguscarhire / cartrawler for a 9 seater Mercedes Vito or similar van. Only after the final payment did I receive the voucher stating that the car hire company was Dollar rent a car / Terstappen Frankfurt.

We arrived at 10:30AM and were presented with a beat up Fiat Skudo. It had scratches and dents everywhere!. Handles were torn or missing. Baggage compartment torn to pieces. Glove compartment would not close. Roof had tears. This was not a car you rent for a vacation, it's was a mover's van!

We requested another van but were told that it was the only one and there might be another one after 17:00PM. We could not cancel the order because it was prepaid by another company.

Having no choice, we took the van.

After an hour's drive we reached Königstuhl Mountain in Heidelberg where the car broke down. There engine temperature was maxed out and the radiator was empty.

Even though I paid for road assistance, there was no answer.

We were stranded on that freezing mountain trying again and again to reach the road assistance.

Eventually I filled the radiator and hoped for the best. We had to stop several times on the way...

When we finally reached the airport, I insisted that the person at the counter try to get a hold of that road assistance. He couldn't either!

You should also be aware that Dollar's car pickup area is very dark, hardly any lamps. Bring a flashlight to verify that there aren't any scratches.

The car return area is fully illuminated...

Whatever you do, stay away from this company.

The cars they rent are not roadworthy!

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,744 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Never rent from Dollar Rent a Car/Terstappen - Frankfurt!

There are plenty of posts on here about this company! Most seem to have billing problems about damages!

Israel
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Never rent from Dollar Rent a Car/Terstappen - Frankfurt!

Not enough posts though.

Another word of caution: Don't use online search engines that find the cheapest deal without telling you the car rental company in advance!

That is how companies like Dollar find suckers.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Never rent from Dollar Rent a Car/Terstappen - Frankfurt!

See also this long-running topic:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187275-i116-k4261…

This must really be the worst car rental company in the world. Unbelievable that the Frankfurt airport does not kick them out.

Arlington, VA
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Never rent from Dollar Rent a Car/Terstappen - Frankfurt!

Just came back from Germany and couldnt wait to warn other people about Dollar/ Thrifty Terstappen car rental Terminal 2 at FRA airport. They tried to ripp off 2 couples in front of me, which I realized when they tried to do the same with me. Online reservation with Dollar was no problem, was cheap and didnt say anything about not accepting Visa cards or the purchase of an additional CDW coverage. But then at the airport surprise! New regulations appeared suddenly out of nowhere, additional 350€ for CDW on top of the 150€ for the smallest car for one week. They suddenly didnt accept VISA cards, no CDW from VISA either of course and if you have Mastercard then you need a written letter from them where it states, that they cover CDW. To make a long story short they try to sell an overpriced CDW on the spot when the customer actually shows up at the airport and probably doesnt really have a choice. Its the worst rip off trick I have seen in years. Should not be allowed in an Airport or anywhere else. Dont rent from Terstappen Dollar/ Thrifty.

5. Re: Never rent from Dollar Rent a Car/Terstappen - Frankfurt!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, December 14, 2013