We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Frankfurt Airport !!

Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Frankfurt Airport !!

Hi , will be arriving at Frankfurt Airport early morinng on a Sunday in September. I was just wondering, does any one know is it possible to catch a train directly from Frankfurt Airport to Mainz ,and take a boat trip from from Mainz to Koblenz. Leave the boat at Koblenz, have a quick look around Koblenz, maybe time for late lunch and catch the train direct back to Frankfurt Airport getting back at the Airport for around 17.30 - 18.30. Do you think this is possible and does anyone know how frequent boats run from Mainz to Koblenz ( and price for adult one-way ), are trains frequent, how long does it take ?

Thanks.

flyingdelsey.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,870 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Frankfurt Airport !!

>. I was just wondering, does any one know is it possible to catch a train directly from Frankfurt Airport to Mainz ,and take a boat trip from from Mainz to Koblenz. Leave the boat at Koblenz, have a quick look around Koblenz, maybe time for late lunch and catch the train direct back to Frankfurt Airport getting back at the Airport for around 17.30 - 18.30.

The stretch of Rhine from Mainz to Bingen (halfway to Koblenz) isn't that scenic and with your limited time it would make sense to start in Bingen. Mainz itself is worth a visit too, no doubt.

>Do you think this is possible and does anyone know how frequent boats run from Mainz to Koblenz ( and price for adult one-way ), are trains frequent, how long does it take ?

Train schedules are all under www.bahn.de

Boat schedules are under www.k-d.de

Freiburg im...
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Frankfurt Airport !!

There's a scheduled KD ship leaving Mainz at 9:45, arriving Koblenz at 2:10. Fare is € 55.40.

www.k-d.de/de/linienfahrten/fahrplan-rhein/

Train schedules and prices:

http://www.bahn.com/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Frankfurt Airport !!

I would stay in Mainz.

4. Re: Day trip from Frankfurt Airport !!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:41 pm, June 20, 2013