We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6-hour layover in Frankfurt. What to do?

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
159 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
6-hour layover in Frankfurt. What to do?

Hi! Does anyone have suggestions for things to do in Frankfurt during a 6-hour layover? I will be there on a Tuesday morning, and my connecting flight is at noon. Thanks!

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6-hour layover in Frankfurt. What to do?

frankfurt-airport.com/content/…

maybe you find something here what you could do at the airport itself, 6 hours

is not that much, you can also go into Frankfurt it takes 11 mins with the train,

but then you only have like 3 hours there and that rather early in the morning.

If the weather is nice you could go to the Roemer, if you take the S-Bahn at the

airport it takes 15 mins to Hauptwache and maybe 5 mins walking.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
159 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6-hour layover in Frankfurt. What to do?

are there any good cafes/restaurants that are open early for breakfast?

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6-hour layover in Frankfurt. What to do?

I don't think so, fast types like Starbucks and bakerys where you can get coffee

too, the leisure typ places will start to open around 9 or 10 o'clock, at the time

you'll be in Frankfurt mainly comuters on their way to work www.frankfurt.de/sixcms/detail.php…

it doesn't look like opening times are mentioned but you can get an idea what

you can do.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
643 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6-hour layover in Frankfurt. What to do?

Above, after "Search in" type "layove"r: It will give some ideas of what can be done in your time. You have 3 hours or less to go to the city.

At terminal 1, on platform 1, take the S-Bahn 8 or 9, to Hauptbahnhof(the main train station downtown) . Exit. Across the station you have Munchener Strasse. You have 3 blocks of wall-to-wall restaurants, opening very early in the morning for all the train travelers. Many of them ethnic foods, but good. That's the place you want. Good luck. .

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,779 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6-hour layover in Frankfurt. What to do?

Most bakeries downtown open between 6 and 8, and if they are in locations with lots of foot traffic, then more like 6. The Klein Markt Halle opens at 8. You can get some really delicious snacks and sandwiches there. The cathedral has services at 8, but you can go in to hear the organ. Early in the morning, you can visit the Alte Oper, see the Jewish Holocaust Memorial Wall, walk along the river, go up on the Eiesener Steg for some of the best views. The Carmeliter Cloister with the Joerg Ratgeb frescos opens at 09:30, the City Model located ine same building as the Judengasse Museum opens at 08:30.

So, you have plenty of things to do and see early in the morning. Head back to the airport with the S-bahn 8 or 9 at the Hauptwache or Konstablerwache station. Hauptwache is 5 stops, Konstablerwache is 6 stops.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6-hour layover in Frankfurt. What to do?

Hello and sorry to barge in on another member's topic but it's very similar.

I also have a 7 hour layover in Frankfurt (arriving at 14:45 from Beijing and leaving at 21:30 for Athens), so I guess spending about 3 hours in Frankfurt (from 16:00-19:00) is doable.

Any suggestions? It will be Monday, 7th May.

Thank you!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
643 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6-hour layover in Frankfurt. What to do?

irida1981 Just follow some of Bornheimgirl's suggestions, for your interests.

California
Level Contributor
198 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6-hour layover in Frankfurt. What to do?

Another break in to the thread. It's a big airport, so most people have a long layover there. City must be happy though, still some money spent for 6 hours :)

My questions are:

1) How much in advance should I be back for the very short-haul flight? Usually for smaller airports 1 hour is enough to check in and pass the security, but I am guessing this one is fairly busy and big?

2) Any ideas where is the Nutelleria? (geez, did I even spell this correctly. I heard there is one in Bologna and one in Frankfurt)

3) How often do the trains go to the city and back?

Thanks

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,779 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 6-hour layover in Frankfurt. What to do?

It depends on the day of the week and what is going on in the city.

For trans-Atantic or long haul flights, if you have your boarding pass and luggage is checked through, then the usual recommendation is 2 hours before departure. If your flight is inter-Europe, then 1.5 hours. You probably don't need that long, but have had friends almost miss flights because they thought, 45 min. or an hour were sufficient, only they were flying when a big trade fair just ended, or school vacation just began.

Seems the Nutelleria opened in 2002 and closed down in 2004

Trains run every 15 min. between the city and the airport.

Edited: 3:04 am, April 13, 2012
California
Level Contributor
198 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 6-hour layover in Frankfurt. What to do?

I see, thanks, the date will be 7th of May Monday... 1,5 hours sounds about right, just to be on the safe side. For the luggage, umm, I am hoping it will be checked through, it's LH from Paris via Frankfurt.... Didn't know nutelleria was that short-lived!