We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

14 hour layover in Frankfurt - all day this Sunday, Dec 4th

Which Frankfurt hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
14 hour layover in Frankfurt - all day this Sunday, Dec 4th

We'll arrive from US into Frankfurt at 8am Sunday and leave at 10:45pm for Jo'burg.

Never had a layover this long before... do our checked bags come back to us to take with us or stay at the airport awaiting our next flight?

Looks like the S-bahn is pretty easy to navigate - any suggestions of places to see or things to do on a Sunday? Scenery and/or quaint villages would be nice. This is my first time in Europe so I'd love to see something more than the city of Frankfurt.

Thanks!

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
569 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 14 hour layover in Frankfurt - all day this Sunday, Dec 4th

I don't know if your bags will be checked till Jo'burg. You can leave them at the airport if they are not and take trains from the airport's train stations to more or less everywhere in Germany.

I'd go to Heidelberg or the Middle Rhine Valley, but are about 1 h per train away from the airport with frequent connections.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,517 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 14 hour layover in Frankfurt - all day this Sunday, Dec 4th

Here are some Christmas markets in the area, though the Frankfurt Christmas market can be fun too. If you want quaint in Frankfurt, head over to the neighborhood of Höchst. Pay a visit to the 1100 year Justinus church - open on Sat. and Sun. 1400-1600.

Big Markets:

* 24 Nov. - 23 Dec. - Mainz Christmas Market

* 24 Nov. - 22 Dec. - Aschaffenburg Christmas Market

* 24 Nov. - 11 Dec. - Seligenstadt Advent Market

* 25 Nov. - 22 Dec. - Hanau Magical Christmas Market

* 27 Nov. - 18 Dec. - Bad Homburg v.d.Hohe Romantic Christmas Market (on Sat. & Sun. only)

Little Markets:

* 25 Nov. - 4 Dec. - Hadamar Castle Christmas

* 2-4 Dec. - Königstein, Christmas Market

* 2-4 Dec. - Schlüchtern, Christmas Market

* 2-4 Dec. - Bad Orb, Christmas Market

* 2-4 Dec. - Idstein Traditional Christmas Market

* 3-4 Dec. - Büdingen, Christmas Market, (Medieval Market along inner wall)

* 3-4 Dec. - Castle Ronneburg Historical Christmas Market

* 3-4 Dec. - Hofheim, Advent Market

* 2-11 Dec. - Gelnhausen, Christmas Market

* 3-11 Dec. - Dreieich, Hayn Christmas Market

* 4-5 Dec. - Neu-Isenburg, Old Town Christmas Market

My recommendation would be the market in Idstein. Not too far away, accessable with the S-bahn. Buy a group ticket from the airport. Find the trains here:

http://www.rmv.de/

3. Re: 14 hour layover in Frankfurt - all day this Sunday, Dec 4th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, June 22, 2013