We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worthwhile staying overnight in Frankfurt?

Which Frankfurt hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
239 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Worthwhile staying overnight in Frankfurt?

We're travelling from N. America to Lisbon via Frankfurt on Lufthansa and wondering whether it is worthwhile to stay overnight or get a connecting flight to Lisbon on the same day?

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Worthwhile staying overnight in Frankfurt?

Grab a cup of coffee, 'cause this is long....

For your overnight stay, I would stay in Bingen. You could stay in Frankfurt city or Mainz, but if you want to see Frankfurt and fit in a Rhine cruise, Bingen is where I would stay. Too much travelling if you stay in Frankfurt with what you want to accomplish and it's easier to retire to your hotel room if you are staying in Bingen.

After you claim your bags, you can store them at the airport overnight. It costs Per day: € 3.50 for standard bags and € 6.00 per day for bulky bags. Baggage storage is located at Terminal 1: Hall B, Level 1 (Arrivals), Open daily 24 hours and Halls B-C, Level 2 (Departures), Open daily from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. or at Terminal 2: Hall D, Level 2 (Arrivals), Open daily from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Baggage storage info -

airportcity-frankfurt.com/cms/default/rubrik…

Just take what you need for an overnight stay in a backpack or small shoulder bag. You don't want to be lugging around luggage during the day. If you decide to stay in Frankfurt, you can drop off the baggage at the hotel and will have to check in after 12:00 noon (more like at night, after the cruise); I'd e-mail the hotel and ask about early check-in and/or see if they can "watch" your bags while you are sightseeing, which I assume would be no problem for them if you do decide to stay in Frankfurt.

To get to Frankfurt city, you want to go the Regionalbahnhof station at Frankfurt airport/Flughafen. There is a Fernbahnhof station as well but that is for long distance trains. Take the S8 or S9 train to Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof or Hauptwache stops. They leave frequently and it's a 11-16 minute trip, depending on the stop. You can purchase the train ticket from one of the ticket machines by the platform. There are machines that translate into English. If you are having trouble with the machines, just go to the ReiseZentrum/service center and get your tickets from a ticket agent.

If you get off at Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof there is a tourist info office there where you can buy a city map for .50 cents. Open Mo-Fr 08:00-21:00 & Sat/Sun/Holidays 09-18:00. Check out the Römers, Römerberg, Kaiserdom, Eiserner Steg(Iron Bridge) and the Riverwalk there. The riverwalk has great city skyline views of the skyscrapers. You may want to go to the top of one of the city buildings where you get a bird's eye view - HeLaBa tower has been recommended to me which you can see from Hauptwache, a historical guard station which is now a cafe. Or you can also go to the viewing platform of the Main Tower, which is the headquarters of the State Bank of Hesse and Thuringia. The platform is about 200m above the streets of Frankfurt.

The historical sites are relatively close to each other and can be covered in a couple hours. The walk from the Hauptbahnhof to Römers area is about 15mins. Hauptwache is also at the beginning of the shopping street Zeil.

If you get off at the Hauptwache stop, there is a tourist info office at the Römerberg area(Römerberg 27) where you can also purchase a map. Open Mo-Fr 09:30-17:30, Sa/Su/Holidays 10:00-16:00. The map outlines a city sightseeing walk which supposedly can be done in 3hrs. I would just stick to what I outlined above.

frankfurt-tourismus.de/cms/…home.html

http://www.frankfurt.de/sis/English.html

You have to time your visit in Frankfurt as the boats leave only at a few times from Bingen. The big operator on the Rhine is KD. There are a couple smaller tour operators that offer Rhine cruises which I think you should take. The bingen-ruedesheimer cruise works well for your schedule - you can book tickets with them online if you wish.

bingen-ruedesheimer.com/rhine-cruise/index.h…

------------------------

If you give up on the idea of Frankfurt, then there are 2 departures for the KD cruise from Bingen: leaves Bingen at 10:30 and arrives in Koblenz at 14:10. Train back to Bingen Hbf from the Koblenz Hbf.

2nd departure at 11:15 and arrives in St. Goar (Bingen side) at 12:40 and St. Goarhausen (Rüdesheim side) at 12:50. From St. Goarhausen you can take the train back to Rüdesheim.

http://www.k-d.com/

------------------------

As for timing - There is 1 direct train that leaves for Bingen Hbf from Frankfurt Hbf in the morning. I would make this train - RE 4364, leaves from track/platform 16, departs at 11:08 and arrives in Bingen at 12:10.

(Otherwise, normally you have to change trains in Mainz in order to get to Bingen. The train for Bingen usually leaves from track 11 in Mainz.)

Check into your hotel. The bingen-ruedesheimer boat leaves at 14:15 from bridge/landing 5 on the Rhine. It arrives at St Goar at 16:05. If you do a roundtrip cruise, it leaves at 16:10 from St. Goar and arrives in Bingen at 18:30.

You have several options for the evening -

Get off at St. Goar, walk around, have dinner there and take the train back to Bingen.

Stay on the boat for the roundtrip cruise.

When you return to Bingen, you can have dinner at your hotel or the Binger Sommergarten restaurant which is right on the Rhine. They have outdoor seating as well - BEAUTIFUL VIEWS!!

Or walk through downtown Bingen up to Burg Klopp Castle and have dinner at the Castle restaurant (expensive!) and they also have outdoor dining. You'll have to walk upstairs from Franz-Neff Platz.

http://www.restaurant-burg-klopp.de/

http://www.juergen-koerner.de/winzbild.htm

I would do this:

Take the personal/Personenfähre ferry from Bingen to Rüdesheim which is 2-3euros roundtrip. Buy your tickets on the boat as you are boarding from the man working the docking ropes. Have dinner in Rüdesheim, walk along the Drosselgasse (VERY touristy, long narrow street. Will be probably crowded in July) Find any restaurant there to your liking. You might also consider purchasing a roundtrip ticket to ride on the Seilbahn/chairlift up to the Niederwald monument. The Personenfähre ferry doesn't operate all night. So make sure you get back to Bingen before it stops, which is around 10/11pm or midnight. Personally, after a visit to the Niederwald monument I would go back to Bingen and spend the rest of the night at the Binger Sommergarten. Hopefully the weather is nice. And if the skies are clear, the night sky is so alive with all the stars twinkling. The lights shining from the numerous villages make for a wonderful sight as well. You might see a few boats cruising down the Rhine. - Can you tell this is my favorite place to relax in Bingen along the Rhine. You can also walk along the Bingen Riverwalk, spend some time on one of the benches and watch the time go by if the Sommergarten is not to your liking.

http://www.seilbahn-ruedesheim.de/

http://www.drosselgasse.de/

translate.google.com/translate…

Hotel Rose in Rüdesheim and the winzerexpress train tour.

winzerexpress.de/html/winzerexpress_e.html

For the hotel in Bingen - 1st check out NH Bingen, which is on the corner where the Nahe river meets the Rhine. Breakfast included. It's the largest hotel in Bingen. It's a convention hotel, so check your dates for availability soon.

www.nh-hotels.com

Other smaller Bingen hotels -

www.weinhotel-michel.de

www.hotel-krone-bingen.de

www.servicehotel.org

www.hotel-koeppel.de

www.welterbe-mittelrheintal.de/index.php…

Hopefully, you are travelling during the week because there is a morning train departure at 09:48 RE4365 from Bingen HBF from platform/track 101. It arrives at Frankfurt Airport/Flughafen Regionalbahnhof at 10:35. This train does NOT operate during the weekend. Your other options will require a change of trains at the Mainz HBF. Go to the Regionalbahnhof and not the Fernbahnhof at the airport. The fernbahnhof is about a 15min walk to Terminal 1 and you have to go up and down a couple escalators.

The NH Hotel is about a 5-10 minute walk from Bingen HBF station. Or you can take a taxi which will cost 2-3 euros for the short trip. If you walk, head towards the taxi stand, walk over the Nahe River bridge(you can only walk on the right side of the street), on the right side of the street by the corner of the parking lot is an underpass where you pop out on the other side of the street. Follow the Nahe to the Rhine River and you'll run into the NH Bingen - it's the large white hotel on the corner.

I'd bring a printed copy of the train you want to take, since the one DB agent we encountered at the Bingen HBF did not speak English.

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Earth, Iowa
2 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Worthwhile staying overnight in Frankfurt?

The Mosela(as some locals call it) or Mosel River is a short distance from Frankfurt. It is much more romantic than the Rhine. During the riverboat ride the water seems to flow onto and disapppear into the earthen banks and the wineries are among the best in the world. The food is German Countryish and the people are never in a hurry and take the time to enjoy fresh air and good wine.The resort areas are some of the finest in Germany and are as quaint as any in the rest of Europe.

Earth, Iowa
2 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Worthwhile staying overnight in Frankfurt?

Spend an evening in New Falkenstein at the Hotel Kempinski. The resturant is exquisite with exceptional service. The pool is very relaxing and the neighboring forest is joyful to stroll or hike into. You can also eat a great meal at the Italian resturant in Kronberg. Either way this hotel is quiet and comfortable.