We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tax Refund in Frankfurt Airport

Which Frankfurt hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
55 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Tax Refund in Frankfurt Airport

I bought a Rimowa carry-on luggage in Frankfurt airport on 24/6 and the sales lady told me I could get a tax refund after I passed control. I was flying out from Frankfurt to Hong Kong transiting Amsterdam so I was at Terminal 2. I found a government export/customs office in Terminal 2 who's supposed to give me a stamp on my taxfree slip. But the lady officer said I could only get the stamp after I pass control. So I passed control but found that there was no government export/customs office. Is this all a trick???

I posted this query on the premiertaxfree.com but no reply whatsoever. I feel this is all-in-all a cheating stuff.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
55 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Tax Refund in Frankfurt Airport

The Rimowa that I bought had about 20% refund. I went to the Netherlands and Germany last summer. I had only 8 days, so I must choose those cities that I am most interested in as Germany is a big country. I visited Amsterdam, The Hague, Delft, Alkmaar and 風車村 (Zaanse Schans). I love the Netherlands more in this trip. You are free to visit my blog

http://blog.yahoo.com/_5BJFKK64RXVLJLMRMOYVNKP3HA/category/The+Netherlands+2011

Singapore
Level Contributor
59 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Tax Refund in Frankfurt Airport

Tax refund is about 11%, +/- abit more depending on the value of your goods purchased from the store.

Italy gives you about 13-14% back, one of the highest in EU whereas London & Paris are roughly about 12% or so

Hong Kong, China
2 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Tax Refund in Frankfurt Airport

Thx h00ked0ntravel

How about the VAT Tax Refund in Zurich?

Edited: 8:49 am, February 27, 2012
Beijing
1 post
Save Reply
14. Re: Tax Refund in Frankfurt Airport

I have a similiar experience just today. I am quite frustrated with the service of Frankfurt airport. I was departing from Madrid to Hong Kong and in between with a connecting flight in the Frankfurt airport. I was told in Madrid that I should do my tax refund in the last EU city so I should do it in Frankfurt airport. I was concern that if I would have enough time in FRA airport to do the tax refund as I only had 1hr and 15min to my connecting flight. As you may know FRA airport is so big and with all the walking and going to the check in counter again to get a new boarding pass for my next flight, even I walked very fast on my own. Ok after all the walking I had 40min left to do the tax refund. So Ok i gotta get a custom stamp. There was only one guy infront of me waiting for the stamp and I asked him how long he had been waiting, he said the officiers were going through the goods and documents and already waited for 10mins. OMG! Ok find I waited a few min in hope someone would come out to give me a stamp. And a rude lady officier said she needed to see my purchased items. I said I already checked in when I left Madrid, and all she said she needed to see my items. Ok I said fine, I was holding the handbag I bought in Madrid so I said I would just do tax refund on this bag (after all, it was just the one most expensive thing I bought I was really hope to get my tax refund). And she kept on saying need to see my luggage. I was like...super frustrated, did I not stated that I already checked in my luggage in Madrid and I could only show her the bag I was holding? In hurry of time, I just asked this officier what I can do then. So she finally said pass the control and get a stamp. I was like....why she didn't say it in the first place and waste my time? So at that time in 25min my flight would leave. Mad...I just grab my receipts from her hand and said "forget it, you are TOO helpful". So after this experience, if you are connecting in FRA, and only have like ~1hr, don't bother doing tax refund. Just not enough time. I just think that they don't want us to do any refund.

Kuala Lumpur...
1 post
Save Reply
15. Re: Tax Refund in Frankfurt Airport

How much % is the tax refund? For example, if I buy handbag cost Euro 550 in Frankfurt stores. And how much cheaper if I get it from duty free shop at Frankfurt airport? I am travelling out of Frankfurt to Malaysia

16. Re: Tax Refund in Frankfurt Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 30, 2014