We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frankfurt airport

York, PA
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Frankfurt airport

Will arrive at Frankfurt airport with short time to make a connecting flight to Budapest. Do you have to collect your luggage and go through security again or can bags from the US be check straight through to a second Eurpean destination?

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
North Carolina
Level Contributor
891 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Frankfurt airport

If you have a ticket with your final destination as Budapest, then yes, you can check your luggage through to Budapest. In that case you will not have to collect your bags in Frankfurt....just head to your connecting flights gate.

Edited: 9:13 am, March 24, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
North Carolina
Level Contributor
891 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Frankfurt airport

In fact, i recall one of my trips to Budapest, I had one ticket to Frankfurt and a separate ticket to Budapest on a completely different airline, and I was able to check my luggage straight through to Budapest. The Ticket Agent at your departing airport, should be able to assist you. Have a great time! Budapest is an amazing city!!

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
denver
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Frankfurt airport

I have a flight from Frankfurt to Philadelphia leaving at 11:50 am. this summer. I am coming from Munich. Should I take an early morning train from Munich ( how long will it take to transfer to the Lufthansa check in counter?) or should I arrive the evening before and stay at the Frankfurt airport? If so, what hotel would be most convenient? Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,851 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Frankfurt airport

York-Traveler, your bags will go through assuming same ticket. Frankfurt Airport, though, is rather massive. In all likelihood, you will need to go a bit of distance from your trans-Atlantic arrival to your departure to Budapest. But you won't collect bags. You will likely go through an immigration control but you won't likely go through security unless you get out of the secured area.

zoolady, better to post new questions as a new post. But, in any case, it's 3-4 hours from Munich Hauptbahnhof direct to Frankfurt Airport with no train changes. Very easy. If you left around 6 a.m. you are probably fine. There's a hotel right in the terminal in Frankfurt ($$$$$). All of the others require a shuttle, which consumes time. If you want to be closer, maybe pick another city and get a hotel walking distance from the train station then just reboard to get to FRA.

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,848 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Frankfurt airport

> how long will it take to transfer to the Lufthansa check in counter?

With Lufthansa you can check-in directly at the AIRail Terminal. How long this will take will depend to a large portion where you'll be on the train.

frankfurt-airport.com/content/frankfurt_airp…

denver
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Frankfurt airport

thanks for pointing out my mistake.

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Frankfurt airport

Zoolady, it's not a mistake. Sometimes you just get overlooked when you tag on. Welcome to TA, it's a wealth of information! Cheers to my neighboring Coloradoan!

8. Re: Frankfurt airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, October 28, 2012