We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best airline to Frankfurt Germany

indiana
Level Contributor
175 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Best airline to Frankfurt Germany

My daughter(17) is hoping to go to Germany over Christmas break to visit our german exchange student and I would like to know what airlines anyone recommends. She flew Delta last year with her group but they do not have any non-stop flights. As she is traveling by herself, i would prefer not to have any lay-overs if possible. Lufthansa was a suggestion and they do have non-stop flights out of Chicago. Does anyone have any suggestions or opinions/experiences either way. Thanks so much!

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
81 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best airline to Frankfurt Germany

Lets make Delta again :)

If you have any more doubts

Ajay.Pratap.Singh@gmail.com

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,689 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best airline to Frankfurt Germany

From Chicago you have the choice of several direct airlines, Lufthansa and their alliance partner United being two. Matter of fact, they code share many flights so know who you will be actually flying with when you check in at either end. I think that American also still probably flies this route. I've flown them all and I think it makes little difference which airline you choose, go for the lowest price. And note that although you may be flying in the same plane with United and Lufthansa, one may be significantly cheaper so check all the possible airlines rates.

Also, it may be beneficial to actual include the trip from your hometown to and from Chicago on the ticket, whether by bus or air. The ticket may then possibly be cheaper, and if there is any problem with the flight caused by the airline they will be obligated to put you up in a hotel room at their expense, which infortunately I wasn't able to take advantage of when our flight from Frankfurt to Chicago was delayed by 6 hours on American (the incoming flight from the US never arrived in Frankfurt!!!!), causing us to miss the last bus of the night to our destination, and then having to pay $250 for a remote hotel room! Note, that as Chicago is a hub for United, and Frankfurt for Lufthansa, they can more easily substitute another plane in these circumstances than other airlines.

Other things being equal, I would probably fly Lufthansa as there probably would be fewer screaming American young children on board..

Thüringen
Level Contributor
15 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best airline to Frankfurt Germany

As far as I know there are three airlines with direct flights ORD - FRA: United, Lufthansa and American AIrlines.

In my opinion American Airlines has the best seat comfort. I like it more than Lufthansa. I never travelled with United so far.

indiana
Level Contributor
175 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best airline to Frankfurt Germany

Thanks for your input! I was looking at American and its good to know about the seats as it is a very long trip. Again, thanks!

Hamilton
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best airline to Frankfurt Germany

My buddy and I are going for Octoberfest. Our best flight was with Iceland Air.An 8 day returnflight(Oct1-8) was $700US. out of Toronto. Best price was at the airlines web site.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best airline to Frankfurt Germany

UNITED, hands down.... book in economy plus.. neither American or Lufthansa have anythng even remotely as good

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best airline to Frankfurt Germany

United does code sharing with Lufthansa so if trying to avoid Lufthansa, pay attention to which airline is actually operating the flight.

San Diego...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best airline to Frankfurt Germany

I personally like to travel Lufthansa. I do not normally associate service with a smile with German companies, but Lufthansa is helpful, reliable, on time, and has far more flights into FRA than other airlines, putting you in a better situation if something like weather ORD) or volcanic ash should strand you.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best airline to Frankfurt Germany

I like Lufthansa because you can get a taste of Germany before you leave. I always enjoy that when I am traveling abroad.

10. Re: Best airline to Frankfurt Germany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 23, 2011