We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Germany...Where do I go?

Which Frankfurt hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
1 post
Save Topic
Germany...Where do I go?

I'm planning a quick trip to Germany from Nov. 22nd to Nov. 28th. I am a 19 year old college student traveling with friends and we are planning on traveling on a budget. We are not sure which city to go to first and where we would have the most fun. We like to go out but we would also like to experience other activities in Germany. Perhaps something outdoors. I would appreciate any suggustions on where to go and what to do.

Thank you!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,552 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Germany...Where do I go?

> ... on a budget

Here the transport costs will play a big role.

Are you planning to fly directly from the US to Germany and back? Or will you be before/afterwards somewhere else in Europe?

Berlin would be a good choice

- one of the cheaper cities in Western Europe

- many hostels where you'll get good value for money

- excellent nightlife

http://www.wintermagic-berlin.com

> ... perhaps something outdoors

Here the offers will be limited this time of the year. Hiking. And if the weather is good enough also biking.

Berlin has quite a number of nice beaches and offers also many other water sports options - but NOT in Winter.

Not really outdoors but close and at least something "unusual"

www.my-tropical-islands.com/index-e.htm

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Germany...Where do I go?

We were in Munich recently for 3 days and thoroughly enjoyed it. So many beer gardens and so little time. Many historical sites to see. The famous and touristy Haufbrau Haus, Marienplatz, and the Glockenspeil. You can see Dachau Memorial Concentration Camp in less than a day. Very easy to get around the city with the 3 day Munich pass.

www.muenchen.de

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
326 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Germany...Where do I go?

If it's your first time in Germany I would recommend Berlin. As Abalada posted, it's cheap when compared to other cities of this size (you won't find another one in Germany though), it's very interesting (being the capital it offers A LOT of choices) and it has an exciting nightlife. For outdoor types, I would recommend a trip to Potsdam, see Schlloss Sanssouci (it has a huge garden!) and don't miss the city of Potsdam itself, because to my mind it has recently become one of the nicest towns in Germany.

Other options would be Munich (very nice city, resembling best what most foreigners would think Germany is like), but it is a bit more expensive than other possible destinations. On the other hand, there is a lot to do in the surroundings of Munich. Many people find a trip to the Starnberger See including Kloster Andex (monks brew German beer there...) a lot of fun.

Hamburg is very nice, too, and in my opinion often a bit underrated. It has the biggest harbour in Germany and a lot of good shopping possibilities.

Some people also would add Cologne to the list, but I am not too familiar with this city apart from the Dome (which is impressing!) and the center which offers a lot of shopping possibilities again.