We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frankfurt Christmas Markets

Which Frankfurt hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Topic
Frankfurt Christmas Markets

I am planning a vist the first week in December to Germany, specifically for the Christmas Markets - will be flying into Frankfurt - has anyone been to germany for these events and have any suggestions as to where to stay - I understand there is a large market in Frankfurt itself, but I am willing to venture outside of this large city - thanks

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,362 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Frankfurt Christmas Markets

Stuttgart has one of the oldest, largest and prettiest in Germany. There is also plenty of other sights and activities nearby that are accessible by the excellent local transportation.

Northn NJ
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Frankfurt Christmas Markets

I would recommend that you travel to other cities/ towns for the Christmas markets. I have not been to the Frankfurt market, but it does not have the old world enviroment that most other markets have since it was rebuilt in the a modern style. Depends on how you will travel train or car. The town of Bad Wimpfen has a old German christmas marlet on weekends only. Most small towns will be weekends only and major cities every day. I think it would be wise to visit the small markets on weekends and the large ones duing the week to avoid the crowds. Rothenburg, Munich, Augsburg, Stuttgart all have good markets. Depends on how much you want to travel.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,905 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Frankfurt Christmas Markets

German Christmas Markets:

open-eye-publishing.com/christmas_markets.htm

Among the listed ones - Michelstadt is a small town inside the area of the local public transport network of Greater Frankfurt (RMV)

http://www.rmv.de

Also an option would be the Christmas Market in Mainz

mainz.de/WGAPublisher/…hthn-5v8jj3.en.html

Frankfurt Airport is between Mainz and Frankfurt.

Europe
Level Contributor
239 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Frankfurt Christmas Markets

Frankfurt christmas market does have old world feeling - it's held on the two places in Frankfurt city centre that do look "old" (Romerberg and Liebfrauberg).

It's not too bad, overall, and if you're in Frankfurt anyway don't hesitate to visit. But I agree that if the purpose of your visit is to go and experience a christmas market, then Stuttgart is a better bet.