We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rhine River Cruise

Brisbane
8 posts
Save Topic
Rhine River Cruise

We are arriving into Frankfurt on 17th October and wanted to do a day cruise on the Rhine River. Where is the best place to start a cruise and how do we get there? How far up/down river should we go before we turn around as we are overnighting in Frankfurt?

I have looked at the KD site bit am having trouble working things out not knowing the area.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,658 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rhine River Cruise

locations map

talderloreley.de/rheinorte/rheinorte.karte.e…

The part Bingen to Koblenz shown on this map is also the most interesting part. Start point would be thus Koblenz.

All the KD boat stops have also railway stations, thus you can do any combination boat/train you like.

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/e

To: Bingen

*) you can give any stop (railway station, U-Bahn, tram bus stop) as start point.

You can also buy the KD boat ticket at a railway station. Than you'll get also the 20% discount on the boat ticket for using the trains to get there automatically.

Rüsselsheim, Near...
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rhine River Cruise

I would say looking at the timetable it would be best to get the ferry from Eltville at 10:25 - you could go from Mainz at 9:15 but there is not much to see between mainz and eltville except Mainz itself! To get to Eltville take the S8 or S9 to wiesbaden then change onto the slow train to koblenz - see www.rmv.de for details. From eltville station just head south through the centre to get to the Ferry. About 0.5 km! You then have options as to what you want to do. You could stop at Rüdesheim for lunch and take the next ferry at 14:15 Or carry on up to Koblenz. You want to go at least to St Goar as this is the prettiest part. I would recommend just going from Eltville to Koblenz stopping twice to arrive at Koblenz at 20:10. or stopping once to arrive at 18:10. You can then get an ICE directly back to Frankfurt.

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rhine River Cruise

You might want to go to the Bingen forum and read the Mainz and day cruise post.

UK
Level Contributor
119 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rhine River Cruise

I have been on the evening cruise from Koblenz up the Rhine. Seeing the many castles lit up at night is wonderful to Lorelei and Burg Katz. Of course i am sure they do day trips also. A very pretty area with vineyards on the slopes of the river. Recommend St Goarhausen (St Goar?) also if you have any time!

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rhine River Cruise

Did you have any luck in finding a day cruise? We also arrive in Frankfurt on Monday morning (for the Book Fair) and I only have that day for sightseeing. I also have been looking for a day cruise.

Any advice?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,658 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rhine River Cruise

You have to go by train to Bingen or Rüdesheim.

From Rüdesheim there are boats dep. 09:15 11:15 14:15 and 16:15.

Departure in Bingen is 15 minutes later.

k-d.com/englisch/…nebensaison-koeln.gif

All cover the most scenic part. As there are railway lines on both sides of the Rhine you can return from any of their stops.

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/e