We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frankfurt airport connection times

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
10 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Frankfurt airport connection times

Because of a schedule change on Lufthansa, I only have 50 minutes to make my connecting flight at Frankfurt Airport.

I called Lufthansa and was told that their minimum connection time is 45 minutes. I will be arriving at Terminal 1 from the US and leaving from Terminal 1 to Krakow.

Any thoughts on this subject?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Frankfurt airport connection times

If Lufthansa say that their minimum connection time is 45 minutes, you will be fine.

If your incoming flight is delayed, they will put you on the next available Lufthansa or partner flight to Krakow.

UK
Level Contributor
223 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Frankfurt airport connection times

45 mins is the official timing, but assumes that your US flight arrives on time. T1 > T1 ought to be OK also Frankfurt is very efficient at getting bags off planes, so even if you haven't got your bags checked through you should be OK, but tight!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
10 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Frankfurt airport connection times

Thank you both!

Normally I fly through Munich which is very efficient with a 35 minute transfer time.

Granted, I tend to be a chronic worrier, but I have had 3 changes to this flight because of schedule cancellations and time changes.

Thank you once again.

Kathleen

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,958 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Frankfurt airport connection times

I had an extremely tight connection in FRA due to weather -- my incoming flight (intl) was T1, my outgoing was T4, if I recall. There is no way to have a connection spread any further apart -- I arrived at one end, and was supposed to depart from the other end.

I was sprinting through the airport (no small feat, as FRA is enormous and very sprawled out) reminiscent of the old commercials showing people hurdling over suitcases and small children, and although I made it, it was so close that they literally closed the plane door on my trenchcoat (fun -- there I stood, huffing and puffing, while the other passengers applauded my arrival!).

I was stunned to arrive at my destination -- and my bag was the very first one off the plane.

If Lufthansa says it's a legal connection, and you're still in the same terminal, you'll be fine.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
32 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Frankfurt airport connection times

Hi Kathleen!

You shouldn't underestimate Frankfurt airport. Even if you arrive at T1 and your outgoing flight departs from T1 you sometimes still need a lot of time for transfer, also depending very much on passport control. 45 mins is not LH minimun connecting time but time given by airport authorities, not very realistic...

If you go to Krakow your flight will have a bus position, so they close gate earlier. Good "short cut" if your plane is leaving from T1 area A is to take the skyline train. Less people there for seurity check!

Good luck!

6. Re: Frankfurt airport connection times

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:21 am, October 09, 2009