We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit Schwarzenborn

Illinois, USA
10 posts
Save Topic
Visit Schwarzenborn

My son will be staying in Schwarzenborn for most of July. I'm coming into Frankfurt July 2 in the hopes of visiting some with him and seeing some area sites. Any good ideas on hotels nearby? Transportation from Schwarzenborn to Frankfurt? Suggestions?

Illinois, USA
10 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Visit Schwarzenborn

Unfortunatley, I'll only be there a week. And I don't even know his schedule yet (Can you tell mom just used this as a good reason to go somewhere she's always wanted to go?) I would love to get to Munich -- but don't know how much I can fit in yet. And it's only 2 weeks away! That's part of the adventure ...

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,073 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Visit Schwarzenborn

Munich is too far for a day trip, that would require an overnight stay (and better more than one). I'd rather concentrate on the surroundings as not to waste too much time on trains since your stay is so short. There is more than enough to do and see in the range of 1 hour. Google the places on my list.

Illinois, USA
10 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Visit Schwarzenborn

I think I have the postal code -- D-34639 ....

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,073 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Visit Schwarzenborn

Post code checked and the above confirmed - this is indeed Schwarzenborn/Knüll. The Knüll is a chain if hills in Northern Hessen.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,073 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Visit Schwarzenborn

Ooops... chain OF hills!

A very German landscape, forests, rolling hills, green valleys.

Illinois, USA
10 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Visit Schwarzenborn

I am so excited. Thank you for all your help. It has been tremendous.

We plan to rent a car -- the mapquest shows 4 hours car travel between Schwarzenborn and Munich. Does that sound right?

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,073 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Visit Schwarzenborn

4 hours each way if, and only if, the roads are clear, which they often aren't. That's minimum eight hours, more likely nine or ten in the car if you plan to do this in one day - I hope you don't. Not my idea of a fun trip.

Illinois, USA
10 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Visit Schwarzenborn

ok. I'm getting the hint. Tell me how realistic this is: spend thurs, Fri, Sat in Hessen area and visiting my son. Leave Schwarzenborn sometime on Sunday, drive to Munich, tour and spend the night. Some time Monday, head north toward Stuttgart and those areas, spend the night and head back to Frankfurt at some point Tuesday (in prep for Wednesday's flight)?

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,073 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Visit Schwarzenborn

I'd stay in Munich till Tuesday to have one full day for the city, which is still less thn the city deserves, and head straight to Frankfurt from there. Otherwise you'd have hardly more than an evening, a night and a breakfast.

There is no need for driving. Let your son take you to Fulda by car and take the train from there. It's faster and less stressful, no need to worry about traffic, directions, parking, and sky-high petrol prices. Same for the Munich-Frankfurt leg.

Illinois, USA
10 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Visit Schwarzenborn

You have been so helpful. Thank you. I'm not sure that I can avoid the driving -- my son has no trasnportation. Since he doesn't know his own schedule yet-- I just have to be as flexible as possible if I'm going to see him. get from Frankfurt to Schwarzenborn, see that area etc ...