We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Four days in darmstadt in September

CINCINNATI
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Four days in darmstadt in September

I'm accompanying my husband on a work trip to Europe and will be in Darmstadt for four days on my own. I'll spend one day exploring Darmstadt and then would like to take the train on day trips to other sites in the area. I've never been to Germany but we're planning to fly into Munich before the meeting and tour Salsburg, Fussen, and Munich before drving to Darmstadt via Rothensburg. I prefer smaller towns and plan to go to the Burg Eltz castle one day. Can anyone recommend other day trips from Darmstadt? Also, given that I'll be taking public transportation while on my own - both trains and buses, I assume - is there a 3 or 4 day pass that would be more economical than individual tickets? Thanks.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,188 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Four days in darmstadt in September

Really close to Darmstadt

Messel Pit (UNESCO world heritage)

grube-messel.de/images/stories/flyer-en.pdf

But no must see if you're not into fossils.

Burg Frankenstein

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankenstein_Castle

While Mary Shelley was eventually not even aware of Johann Conrad Dippel - she at least liked the name of the castle. There are however more interesting ones in this area, along the Bergstraße.

www.diebergstrasse.de/index.php?id=2&L=2

The Bergstraße stretches from Darmstadt to Heidelberg. Nicest towns are Bensheim, Heppenheim and Weinheim.

You can also travel deeper into the Odenwald to Erbach and Michelstadt. Again direct trains from Darmstadt to these towns.

michelstadt.de/startseite/…

http://www.erbach.de/bildergalerie.html

And last but not least of course Heidelberg itself.

heidelberg-marketing.de/content/index_eng.ht…

There are no 3 or 4 day passes. Most of the mentioned places are inside the RMV local public transport association. You can check times and prices to these places here

www.rmv.de/auskunft/bin/jp/query.exe/en

To buy a day ticket is normally the best idea.

Cheap option to Burg Eltz:

RMV day ticket to Mainz (EUR 14,80). Rheinland-Pfalz Ticket (EUR 22,00) for remaining part to Moselkern.

vrminfo.de/en/…

On weekdays the Rheinland-Pfalz Ticket is only valid past 9am. Thus the first train you can take departs Darmstadt Hbf at 08:40. After 2 changes you're at Moselkern at 12:11. Rheinland-Pfalz Ticket can be bought in Darmstadt from the ticket machines.

Cheap option to Heidelberg:

RMV day ticket to Weinheim (EUR 14,80). VRN day ticket from Weinheim to Heidelberg (EUR 11,00). The VRN ticket may be available at the counter in Darmstadt. Otherwise you have to buy it in Weinheim (ticket machines). This is however no real disadvantage as you can change in Weinheim anyway to a (countryside) tram (line RNV 5) which brings you directly to Heidelberg Bismarckplatz - the western end of the Altstadt (Old Town).

…heidelberg.de/Altstadt-Information/english/…

Bismarckplatz is in column 1 row 5. The streets in yellow are pedestrian zones.

The alternative is to continue by train to Heidelberg Hbf (main train station) and from there by tram or bus to Bismarckplatz. Travel times of either option are nearly identical.

Note that the above mentioned tickets are all local public transport tickets. They cover regional trains, S-Bahn, trams and buses. Long distance trains like IC/EC or ICE are not covered.

Edited: 7:39 pm, July 19, 2013
CINCINNATI
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Four days in darmstadt in September

Great information. Thank you. I do have a follow up question. It seems like it will be over six hours of trains to go to Burg Eltz and back. I checked google maps and it indicates it would be under 2 hrs to drive to Burg Eltz. My husband and I were going to rent a car to drive to Fussen, Salzburg and then up to Darmstadt. Would it be better for me to just keep the car longer and drive to Burg Eltz and other locations? Are the roads easy to navigate for someone that doesn't speak/read German?

Edited: 8:52 pm, July 19, 2013
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,188 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Four days in darmstadt in September

You could use instead of just regional trains also long distance trains to Koblenz. Than you'll need 2:31 instead of 3:31 to Moselkern. More expensive - but still cheaper than a rental car + fuel. The trains follow the scenic Middle Rhine Valley route.

http://www.welterbe-mittelrheintal.de

Very scenic. With plenty of more castles. If you take the same route by car you'll need more time than by train. Apart from the fact that driving and at the same time checking the landscape for castles etc. won't work.

> Are the roads easy to navigate for someone that doesn't speak/read German?

Signs are mostly using symbols.

www.gettingaroundgermany.info/zeichen.shtml

Directions are however only given by the names of towns/cities lying in a direction. Not northbound or so. Straight roads do barely exist. Even at places where the landscape would allow them. That's by purpose. Due the allowed speeds and traffic density you need 100% concentration when driving in Germany.

Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Four days in darmstadt in September

Hi, Am planning for a conference in September too at Darmstadt.

Would appreciate if you could share what places are doable after working hours on these 4 days. I may have an extra off day and would like to know how I can maximize it.

5. Re: Four days in darmstadt in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 pm, August 19, 2015