We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hamburg Train Fines

Which Hamburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Hamburg Train Fines

I have recently returned from a week long trip to Hamburg, Germany, whilst we were there we didn't use the trains at all, just travelled around mostly on foot and in taxis, on the final day on the way to the Airport, we decided to take the train as we assumed it would be the cheaper option than another taxi, we bought our tickets and got on the train, couple of stops down the line, the ticket inspectors showed up and checked our tickets, unbeknown to us we had all purchased the wrong ticket, tried to explain this to the ticket inspector, but his English was minimal as is my German, so he took my details, name, DOB, address (no post code which i thought was weird).

He told us we had to go to an address on the ticket to pay the fine, but as we were on our way to the airport to fly home, this wasn't an option, i've had a look through the ticket and the leaflet-type thing he gave me, but it's all in German (understandably) and i can't seem to find any way of making this payment online.

I was given 40 day to pay 40 euros, but i'm struggling to do this and i don't want any 'black marks' placed against me due to the logistical problems of paying the fine, i don't agree with the fine because it was an honest mistake, but i understand i have to pay it.

Does anyone know how i can get this paid, without flying back to Hamburg?!

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hamburg Train Fines

International money transfer?

There should be an Iban number on the ticket he gave you. You can get help at your bank at home, if you don't know how to do it.

UK
Level Contributor
5,910 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hamburg Train Fines

The cost of international transfers from the UK would be almost as much again as the excess fare (it's a flat fee, but it's the same fee regardless of whether you're paying 10 Euro or 1000 Euro).

I appreciate that ticket inspectors probably get a bit cynical about "lost tourist" stories, but it's usually easy to tell the difference between someone who is putting it on and someone who really has made a genuine mistake. ... and I would expect an experienced ticket inspector to have enough "Menschenkenntnis" to know the difference. If someone has gone to the trouble of buying a ticket (rather than travel without one, which is so easy in barrier-less Germany) then I think the assumption should be that it probably was a genuine mistake.

Josh D, what I would do is contact HVV (www.hvv.de), explain the situation and ask them to (please, pretty please) waive the fine. See what they say and take it from there.

Edited: 6:06 am, February 23, 2014
UK
Level Contributor
5,910 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hamburg Train Fines

Another thing...

"but it's all in German "

Hamburg prides itself in being an international tourist and business destination, so I really think they should have leaflets in English to give out to their international visitors.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,356 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hamburg Train Fines

How about just wait until you get a letter at home. Likely you will never hear again from this.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,140 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hamburg Train Fines

International money transfer?

Ever heard of SEPA? The UK is still in the EU.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_Euro_Payments_Area

All you need is the IBAN and the BIC which you should be able to spot somewhere on the information you received.

A SEPA money transfer costs the same fees like an inland money transfer.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hamburg Train Fines

that's what I meant Abalada ...

Forgive an old woman not to know the newest terminology in a foreign language ;)

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hamburg Train Fines

Hi, go to www.hvv.de/en/ and click contact. You can send the people that issued you the ticket in English a message and adk for advice. Unfortunately the inspectors have a zero tollerance policy so there is no excuse. I did think the fine was less than 40 euros if you had bought a ticket but got the wrong one.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,389 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hamburg Train Fines

Abalada, the UK is in the EU but not in the Euro, thus there is a charge to pay

Inchicore, Dublin...
Level Contributor
982 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hamburg Train Fines

Josh,

I don't think that you would have to pay at all. First of all they would not collect fines in the UK. Nevertheless there is certainly a mail address shown on the letter. Just write them, apologize for and ask to cancel the fine. I am sure they will do so.

Holger

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hamburg Train Fines

May I ask what kind of ticket you bought? Did you buy it from the machine?

Edited: 3:02 pm, February 23, 2014