We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Area/Hotel Advice please

London
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Topic
Area/Hotel Advice please

Hi Forum!

Thanks for taking the time to help me out, I really need your expertise as I'm planning a 'weekender' in Hamburg in mid May so don't have much time to find my way around the city to find the best bars and areas while we are in town, we really need a good idea of where to go and such before we get there... So here is the outline:

Two guys mid 30's heading into Hamburg for good beer and fun-times, we love good beers and a bit of live music, so we are in need of advise on the following:

1) Hotel: Does not have to be fancy, but I don't want to share a bed with cockroaches or any other bugs, somewhere resonable but near all the action (bars).

2) Area: Which area has the good beer bars? And maybe some live music, we are not clubbers (too old lol) but love a good pint of pilsner and a dance but do not want to have to travel too far from the hotel

We will be flying in from London and staying Friday –Sunday, any hotel suggestions and areas to stay in would be great.

Thanks so much!

-Peter

Mentioned in this post
Hamburg
Hamburg
Germany
Cafe May
Cafe May
215 Reviews
Hamburg, Germany
London
London
England, UK
Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Area/Hotel Advice please

To be near the actions means you should get a hotel in St. Pauli/near the Reeperbahn, our nightlife/red light district.

The Pyjama Park Hotel & Hostel has some pretty good reviews on here: and on other websites - that something for you?

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187331-d3513…

or the Superbude? tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187331-d2400…

Mentioned in this post
St. Pauli
St. Pauli
620 Reviews
Hamburg, Germany
Reeperbahn
Reeperbahn
1,846 Reviews
Hamburg, Germany
London
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Area/Hotel Advice please

Thanks i took a look at the two hotels you suggested but seems are are booked for the weekend of 17th May :( super popular, seemed good too!

Mentioned in this post
Cafe May
Cafe May
215 Reviews
Hamburg, Germany
Turku, Finland
Level Contributor
47 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Area/Hotel Advice please

Check if Ibis Budget Hotel Hamburg Altona, Ibis Hotel Hamburg St Pauli Messe or Ibis Budget Hotel Hamburg St. Pauli Messe have rooms available. They are all quite close to St Pauli area and are neat, ok hotels.

As for bars... Last summer we visited a tiny burlesque club in St Pauli called Queen Calavera http://www.queencalavera.com/ Great atmosphere! Check it out.

For the afternoon/early evening this place is fun, too - if the weather is fine http://www.hamburgcitybeachclub.de/home.html

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Hamburg Altona
Hotel Hamburg Altona
45 Reviews
Hamburg, Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
Germany
St. Pauli
St. Pauli
620 Reviews
Hamburg, Germany
London
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Area/Hotel Advice please

Thanks for the advice everyone! Oh man when i looked almost all the hotels near the Reeperbahn were fully booked, only ones with rooms were super expensive, but i found a room in Hotel Stadt Altona its a little off the Reep and not the best hotel but we will only be crashing there a few hours each night!

One other thing you guys may be able to help with; we LOVE good pilsner beer, which would be the bars/pubs that sell the best pint of beer? are there any you would suggest we go and try the beers in.. even if its a local pilsner beer we would love to try some!

Mentioned in this post
Reeperbahn
Reeperbahn
1,846 Reviews
Hamburg, Germany
Hotel Stadt Altona
Hotel Stadt Altona
70 Reviews
Hamburg, Germany
5. Re: Area/Hotel Advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, May 02, 2014