We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport to Hbf in 30 minutes?

Which Hamburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Conisbrough, United...
Level Contributor
248 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Airport to Hbf in 30 minutes?

I can't believe I'm about to ask this, because I'm normally such a careful person with transport connections.

The question is simple:

Is it absolute suicide booking an advance DB ticket to depart Hamburg Hbf at 17:53, when my flight is scheduled to land at 17:15?

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,713 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport to Hbf in 30 minutes?

>Is it absolute suicide booking an advance DB ticket to depart Hamburg Hbf at 17:53, when my flight is scheduled to land at 17:15?

Yes. You have no chance to get that train. Even if you take a taxi (which kills all the savings you would get with an advance discounted ticket). You need 20-25 min just for the way. And you would probably gett he tail end of the rush hour anyway.

And by train you would also need ~ 25 min from the airport to HBf just on the train, not counting waiting for the next train and the way from S-Bahn tracks to the mainline tracks

But you should buy your ticket from Hamburg airport, then it will also include the way into the city.

Edited: 10:16 am, April 11, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,303 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport to Hbf in 30 minutes?

What's your final destination?

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport to Hbf in 30 minutes?

If your plane lands pretty much on time you would not make it.

Even without passport control and collecting luggage it takes you usually ten minutes to leave the airport and make your way to the S-Bahn or just under ten mins to the taxi rank (done it loads of times).

Taxi takes, as altamiro already said, 20 - 25 mins, if you arrive during the week, it may be even longer because of rush hour traffic.

S-Bahn always leaves on the minute 4 and journey time is officially 24 minutes.

I'd say, your only hope may be, as I suppose you want to take the 17.53 train towards Munich via Hanover etc., that the train is delayed as it currently regularly is by ca. 5 mins.

Edited: 1:58 pm, April 11, 2013
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,905 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport to Hbf in 30 minutes?

> booking an advance DB ticket to depart Hamburg Hbf at 17:53

ICE 885 towards Munich? What's your final destination?

If you change/cancel this ticket now this will cost you EUR 15,00.

When missing the train - which is very likely - on the travel date the ticket is forfeit, the money paid for it is lost.

Conisbrough, United...
Level Contributor
248 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport to Hbf in 30 minutes?

You are correct, it was the Munich train.

Thankfully, I've found that Lufthansa fly to Munich at 8pm, so we've paid for flights. Actually worked out cheaper!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,905 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport to Hbf in 30 minutes?

Always worthwhile when flying into Germany and wanting to travel same day or next day by train is to check if your airline offers Rail&Fly tickets. Discounted flat fare tickets which are flexible.

bahn.de/i/…rail_and_fly.shtml

7. Re: Airport to Hbf in 30 minutes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 13, 2014