We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental in Germany

Which Hamburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
DKJ
Maine
7 posts
Save Topic
car rental in Germany

I need to rent a car in Germany in May for 10days. We arrive in Dusseldorf and depart out of Frankfort. What car rental company should we use? What size car is good for 3 adults? Thanks, K

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental in Germany

I always use AutoEurope, ordering the car here in the US. You will actually get a car from one of the big rental companies, but at a better rate. If you want to, you can lock in the rate by pre-paying, but I don't feel very strongly about that. Check the AutoEurope web-site or call 1-888-223-5555.

I suggest you get a car in the Ford Mondeo, Opel Astra range, with Diesel engine and - if you still know how to drive it - a manual transmission. European passenger car Diesels are much further advanced than here in the US. The fuel is cheaper, and you get better mileage. When you drive it, you can't tell the difference between a "Benziner" (gasoline) and Diesel car.

DKJ
Maine
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental in Germany

Treplow--I checked Eurocars, but I found better prices thru travelocity with thrifty. My brother-in-law wants a car that has enough get up and go. My best deal was on a Mercedes 200, which is a 4 cyclinder and I have requested a diesel. Do you know anything about Mercedes--I have never driven one-the 200 OK? K

Hamburg, Germany...
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental in Germany

I work for a car transfer company. I´ve driven almost every new BMW and Mercedes.

"My brother-in-law wants a car that has enough get up and go"

Mercedes 200 what ? 200 just stands for the engine (size).

There is A200 B200 C200 CLK200 E200 ...

A200 and B200 : Compact cars. The 200 engine produces around 120 HP which is ok for these cars. The B200 with manual transmission is okayish. Not a race car but it will move ;)

C200 and E200 : Sedans. Forget it ... No punch at all. Way too heavy for the engine. Mercedes automatic transmissions also have a very sluggish throttle response !

For 3 adults i would get a C or E class. If you want some power ... at least the 280 now 320 that´s where the real fun starts. The 200 is the weakest! model for C (except 180) and E class.

Mercedes is not so much fun to drive but if you want maximum safety and ride comfort there´s nothing better though. I prefer BMW :-) Freude am fahren !

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,861 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental in Germany

"Sixt" often have good deals. e-sixt.com/main/extern/carhire/International

DKJ
Maine
7 posts