We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stop in Hamb. or elsewhere on train btwn Berlin and Copenh?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
322 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Stop in Hamb. or elsewhere on train btwn Berlin and Copenh?

My friend and I will be staying in Berlin in July and then taking a train to Copenhagen. Hamburg seems like the obvious place to visit in between, but at that point we may feel weary of a big city. Can anyone recommend smaller, scenic and charming places along the train path? Or if Hamburg is the place to be, please tell me. Thanks!

Luneburg, Germany
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Stop in Hamb. or elsewhere on train btwn Berlin and Copenh?

I would recomend LÜBECK.

A city with a historic centre and a lot of brick buildings and old churches from the HanseTradingTime.

The famous "Holstein Gate" is only a 10 Mintes walk away from the Lübeck Central station.

Luneburg, Germany
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Stop in Hamb. or elsewhere on train btwn Berlin and Copenh?

I would recomend LÜBECK.

A city with a historic centre and a lot of brick buildings and old churches from the HanseTradingTime.

The famous "Holstein Gate" is only a 10 Mintes walk away from the Lübeck Central station.

At the HanseTradingTime (1200-1700 Century) Lübeck was one of the biggest and powerfull cities of northern europe. much bigger then Hamburg.

Right now Hamburg has a population of about 2million and Lübeck of about 250.000 people.

Hamburg has nice places too, but I would recomend Lübeck, because it easier to get around and there are more historic buildings clos together.

I am a native Lübecker so feel free to ask me for further informations.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
569 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stop in Hamb. or elsewhere on train btwn Berlin and Copenh?

I second Luebeck. Very easy to get around, everything on the historic old town island is withing walking range. You are also very close to the nice beaches along the baltic sea like Travemuende oder Timmendrofer Strand.

4. Re: Stop in Hamb. or elsewhere on train btwn Berlin and Copenh?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, October 03, 2012