We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Asian phobia???

Kinshasa...
6 posts
Save Topic
Asian phobia???

Dear Hamburgers,

First of all I would like to say that Hamburg is a nice city in my feeling and I think that I would like to see more interesting things here.

I am Asian and just stay here for 1 month.To be honest,I have only few information about Hambug before I came here.

One thing I observed everytime when I was travelling by train or walking along the street is some of hamburgers have Asian phobia!! I am not talking about race but just really curious??? Some of them look at me like I am an alien and they prefer to stand even there are many empty seats around me.I am not sure that maybe they were thinking that I will rob or steal them which I never have an idea about that,at least I know what is virtue and morality.

Otherwise,it makes me think about the situation when I was in my country I met many western people and I never take a look at them like some did that with me.

I really don't know about their opinion about Asia but one thing I discovered is all developed country still have social problems....prostitudes,beggars,crime etc.,

However,I have an impression when I went to kayak with my friend,we had a problem with our boat and we both totally wet so I have to wait him at a bus stop while he was walking back to take his bicycle at his grandmother's place for cycling back further to get his car where we atarted our kayaking.It was night time about 10 p.m. and the weather was really cold.I was really sure that nobody want to drop and offer me some help,half an hour later a woman from a pub walk to the bus stop and asked me with her deutsch language which I only caugth one word that she tried to said is "HELP" I said thank you very much and tried to explained her that I'm waiting for my friend.

I believe that coins have 2 sides,as same as I found a friendship from a foreigner even it was a short minute there.

I wish that the administrator or the moderator would understand what I really want to say..and no I never have an idea to complain anything.It is just a voice from me who is your foreigner same as I read many opinion in lonelyplanet and links.

Thank you for reading and I would welcome you western people when you come to Asia.

Best regards,

Asian

Once I went to fleamarket with my friend by his car,a woman who was parking near us take a look at me like she never seen Asian people before..sorry joke but true!!

Europe
Level Contributor
239 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Asian phobia???

If "Asian" means "Indian" or "Pakistani", then yes you will find peolple who will trat you as "suspicious". It's stupid and racist, but then Hamburg was where the 9-11 terror cell lived, worked/studied, and planned their crimes.

Kinshasa...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Asian phobia???

I didn't come from both countries you mentioned certainly,most of all I am a Bhuddist woman and each year high percentage of tourists in my country are from Deutschland.

@ Tom the Tourist,thank you very much for your reply:-)

Best regards.

india
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Asian phobia???

Now u have me worried, is there really a reaction against asians more specifically Indian and Pakistani? I am indian and will be alone in germany for a week is there anything specific i should watch out for?

FYI: To my knowledge no Indian or Pakistani was involved in the terrorist cell based in Hamburg.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Asian phobia???

As you said, I don't think any Indian or Pakistani were involved.....but I wonder if many people can't tell the difference. Being totally honest here (and I mean no harm), sometimes I know the difference between Indian and Pakistani, other times I may not be sure. Depends if the person had 'indian type' features if you know what I mean??

Another thing, don't know if anyone has been watching 'Lost' on TV lately? I've been totally addicted to it, but it hasn't half annoyed me that they cast a guy of Indian origin to play an Iraqi in it. At first I was thinking 'he looks kind of Indian', then I mentioned to hubby who said he's supposedly of Indian origin but English. Having now watched the bonus disk I got with the box set I bought, the guy does have an English accent in real life, and probably is of Indian origin. I'm guessing they though enough people wouldn't notice? Or maybe it didn't matter enough and they just thought he was a suitable actor. However every other actor in the series appears to be perfectly chosen.

Sorry if that's a bit off topic, just using it as an exlanation - maybe people just don't know the difference.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,855 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Asian phobia???

Wanderergirl, you will be as safe in Germany as you would be anywhere else. Please don't worry and have a good trip!

Europe
Level Contributor
239 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Asian phobia???

wandergirl: no, not really. It's "guys who look like suicide bombers on TV" who'll get the stares. Racist behaviour? But of course! But not unlike the stares you got in London after 7-7. The less "arab" and the more "Bollywood" (sorry again, I know these are stereotypes but that's how life is) you look, the more friendly (and curious) the stares will be. But there will be the odd stare. They're mostly harmless though.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Asian phobia???

Wanted to add something else....

Don't know if you're indian or what....but I love to see saris I think they are called. I love the fabrics and how they seem to team them with sparkly shoes etc. So I guess I've stared at some Indian women in the past....but not in a bad way.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Asian phobia???

Sorry I just noticed you said you weren't from India or Pakistan, but maybe you will understand what I mean anyway. Another one is that I often notice that Chinese (or Japanese...sometimes I can't tell the difference), often have lovely straight shiny hair. Another observation, that maybe I have 'looked for too long' at someone, but again not for a bad reason.

Kinshasa...
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Asian phobia???

@ wonderergirl,sorry if my experience worried you but I could guarantee that you'll be safe exactly in Germany.Life is journey just pack your things and go wherever you want..see the world..as long as truth is truth.Have a nice trip:-)

I am not look like both chinese and japanese anyway and I think it doesn't matter how would I look like:-) cause I am just a simple woman who have a good hearted and love to travel.

Hamburg, Germany
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Asian phobia???

Sorry you encountered unfriendliness in Hamburg. I am from the UK, so I am foreign here, too, but my boyfriend is Scottish/Filipino and we get strange looks whereever we go (even in the UK)! However, I would say that I have encountered people really staring at me even when on my own, so I just think that Germans are naturally inquisitve people - it doesn't seem to matter where you're from!