We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around Hamburg airport

Toronto
1 post
Save Topic
Getting around Hamburg airport

I am travelling on BA to Hamburg and then Aegean to Athens with a checked bag. I am wondering if a 1.5 hour is enough time to get from T1 to T2 with rechecking a bag.

Mentioned in this post
Hamburg
Hamburg
Germany
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
4 replies to this topic
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
6,420 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around Hamburg airport

When you say "rechecking a bag" do you mean that these are separate flights on separate tickets? If that is the case, I don't think you'll make it. You'll have to get off the plane, go through immigration, collect your bag, go landside to change terminal, drop your bag off again, go through security. That's a lot in 90 mins, really only 50 as boarding will probably start 40 mins before departure.

If it is ONE ticket your bag will be checked through to Athens and you'll only have to go through immigration at HAM.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Fuhlsbuettel Airport
Fuhlsbuettel Airport
Hamburg, Germany
UK
Level Contributor
8,212 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around Hamburg airport

I'd say your chances of making it with checked baggage, on separate tickets, are close to zero - the only chance you have of making it is to travel without checked baggage. With carry-on baggage 1.5 hours is do-able as you would be able to transfer airside (T1 and T2 aren't really separate terminals - they are separate check-in areas, but airside it's all one terminal)

Edited: 5:08 pm, June 09, 2018
Gothenburg, Sweden
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around Hamburg airport

I have a transit also in Hamburg, Gothenburg to Hamburg and then Hamburg to Heraklion, with 1h and 10min layover. I don’t have a checked baggage and i will have been already checked in. Do I have to pass through security control again or is it a transit area for EU flights?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Hamburg
Hamburg
Germany
Gothenburg
Gothenburg
Vastra Gotaland County, Sweden
UK
Level Contributor
8,212 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around Hamburg airport

#3, you won't have to re-clear security.

If you are bussed to the terminal make sure you take the escalator upstairs before you reach baggage reclaim. If you end up in baggage reclaim by mistake then you will have to re-clear security as you will have left the sterile area. It's very easy to miss that escalator (I nearly missed it the one time I transferred at HAM)

If you disembark via an airbridge you will disembark straight into the departure area and all you need to do is walk to your gate.

Mentioned in this post
Fuhlsbuettel Airport
Fuhlsbuettel Airport
Hamburg, Germany
Reply to: Getting around Hamburg airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted