We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dresden or potsdam??

Which Potsdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
207 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
dresden or potsdam??

I intend for a day trip from Berlin to outside of the city

which one do I have to prefer?

Dresden or Potsdam?

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,416 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: dresden or potsdam??

If you want my personal opinion - half a day is not enough for Dresden. If you go to Potsdam you will save yourselves several hours of travel time. So if you can visit only one of the two, I suggest Potsdam.

Calgary
Level Contributor
466 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dresden or potsdam??

Dresden is definitely a worthwhile destination but as a daytrip from Berlin it means you'd be spending 4 hours in the car or on the train. Potsdam is much easier to get to and has lots to offer to fill an entire day - or more.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
207 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dresden or potsdam??

hm ok Postdam is noted..

or do u have any alternative rather than Potsdam?

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dresden or potsdam??

We chose to visit Dresden as a day trip from Berlin and spent about 7 hours there. The train ride was very pleasant and we enjoyed the day.

We have not yet been to Potsdam but may go this November when we are back in Berlin but are also considering Leipzig.

For us, we enjoy the train. It is a form of travel we do not have access to where we live and the German train system is excellent. The time on the train gives us some downtime to read, chat, relax, etc., as we are very much on the go when in Europe. So for us, it is a pleasure not a chore.

Black Diamond...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dresden or potsdam??

Just got back from Germany. We visited both Dresden and Potsdam.

Both places are beautiful but you definitley need more than a day for Dresden.

6. Re: dresden or potsdam??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 01, 2010