We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation Bremen-Soltau-Hamburg

Which Bremen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Croatia
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
transportation Bremen-Soltau-Hamburg

Hello. I need some tips for transportation. I watched hvv, bsag and bahn web pages and find so many information but I'm not sure what is a best for us (2adults and 13 years old boy). First day we wiil be in Bremen early in the mornig and in the evening go to Soltau. From Soltau we will come to Hamburg and be there 1,5 day. After that we will come to Bremen. What is the best and, of course, cheapest way to do that? Is the Soltau in 4th zone of Hamburg where we can buy day ticket? Dayticket in Bremen include journey to Soltau? Thank you for help me.

Edited: 4:03 pm, July 14, 2014
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation Bremen-Soltau-Hamburg

I have to make some assumptions as the following are not clear:

- how you are reaching Bremen (and from where) to start your journey.

- whether you are traveling on weekends or weekdays

Case A

======

(Assuming you are traveling on weekdays and that you are already in Bremen to start your trip)

- Buy one day pass for 3 of you (see: http://www.bahn.com/i/view/USA/en/prices/germany-regional/bremen-ticket.shtml). The one day pass includes: Travel for a day as much as you want through Bremen, Lower Saxony and Hamburg

- It appears that:

3 passengers: 30 euros (for 1 day)

- If your travel on (say) 2 different days, then you will need 2 one day passes (with each pass covering 3 people) and will cost 2 times 30 = 60 Euro (+ whatever shipping involved). You should check the site for lead times for your passes to be mailed out and buy early if you want to avoid higher costs of expedited shipping.

Also note that for this travel only regional trains can be used (not ICE - InterCity Express)

Case B

======

(Assuming you are traveling on weekends and that you are already in Bremen to start your trip

NOTE: Based on times/durations that you have provided it appears unlikely that a weekend pass will be able to cover your travel.)

- Checkeout - travel throughout Germany on weekends (bahn.com/i/…happy_weekend_ticket.shtml)

- Note that this pass is for 1-5 People (upto 5 people)

- The pass is only valid for one day of the weekend (so if you need to travel both Sat and Sun, you may have to buy 2 passes)

- Pass covers travel from 12 AM Sat to 3 AM Sun (or 12 AM Sun to 3 AM Mon)

- Pass cost 44 Euro

- Cost is higher if bought at a DB center in Germany and even higher on train.

Also note that for this travel only regional trains can be used (not ICE - InterCity Express)

The alternative to this is to get a DB pass (first or second class) for a certain number of days. But very likely costs are much higher as it allows travel on ICE trains.

Bremen day tickets will NOT cover travel to Hamberg or Soltau. Generally day tickets in one city do not cover other cities. In many cases, if you are in doubt, email to DB support (please lookup the support email on their official site) and you are very likely to get a response.

Good luck

Croatia
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation Bremen-Soltau-Hamburg

Thank you. We will come to Bremen by plane (1st day),then 2 days in Soltau. 4th day we will come from Soltau to Hamburg and next evening go back to Bremen. Trip to Hamburg will be on weekend.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transportation Bremen-Soltau-Hamburg

The Lower Saxony Ticket (referred to Bremen Ticket in 1st reply) is also valid on weekends (all day on weekends and public holidays, just from 9am on weekdays).

There is no need to buy the Schönes Wochenende (happy weekend) Ticket, that would be a waste of money.

And that ticket is valid also to use to Hamburg - you can even use it for public transport in Bremen and Hamburg.

And since your child is under 15 he actually travels for free, so the ticket price will just be 26 EUR.

In regards to the leg Soltau - Hamburg. While it seems that Soltau is within the HVV network that is only applicable for travel passes.

For single/day tickets you can just get HVV tickets from Handeloh.

A group ticket for the whole network is already 25.50 EUR. So since the Lower Saxony ticket is just 26 EUR and good for travel from Soltau to Hamburg and valid for public transport in the Greater Hamburg area outside the train from Soltau to Hamburg the best option for you is also on that day - and also for the day you go back to Bremen.

There is also no need to buy the ticket in advance, though you can buy it now as an online and mobile phone ticket. You can just buy it on the spot from the ticket machines (buying at the counter occurs an additinal 2 EUR charge).

Also note you have to get a ticket before boarding the train except the ticket machines at the station do not work (go straight away to the conductor in that case).

If you do not have a ticket, you will be fined. That rule was changed some while ago, in past it was possible to buy tickets on regional trains without any issues.

In regards to the HVV tariff:

Suppose you saw this?

hvv.de/pdf/…Tarifplan_USAR.pdf

Soltau is in of the two white boxes at the bottom. The note next to it says that the HVV tariff only applies for travel passes.

Croatia
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transportation Bremen-Soltau-Hamburg

That is really full information :-)))). Yes, I saw tarifplan on link you send.

Thank you very very much.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transportation Bremen-Soltau-Hamburg

Thank you Michaela_2404 for correcting me and additional details. Cheers.

6. Re: transportation Bremen-Soltau-Hamburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 17, 2015