We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with my Berlin Itinerary

Glen Head, New York
Level Contributor
818 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Help with my Berlin Itinerary

I will be in Berlin from March 28th(arriving late) and departing on April 1 - So I have 3 full days.

First day - March 29th - Was thinking of doing Hop on Hop off tour and get off by the Story of Berlin and get an over view of Berlin that first day - Also I like to shop and I read that area of Kurfusendamm is good for shopping??? Continue on the hop on hop off. End in Potsdamer Platz and go to Panoramapunkt for a view at the top.

Second day - Private tour guide and see Berlin Wall memorial, Checkpoint Charlie, Hitler Bunker, Brandenburg gate Holocaust Memorial and end at Reichstag. << not sure that can all be done in 2-3 hours? Is that too much?

Lunch

Mid -Afternoon - Topography of Terror - Can we tour this on our own? Or do we need to pay for a tour guide???

Day Three - East Side Gallery

Please fill in extra's I should not miss? I find having only 3 days and so much to do!

We are staying at the Ritz Carlton Berlin in Club level so must of our eating will be done there to stay on a budget too. Tho I do want to try some Currywurst and go to a Beer Garden type place.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Deb

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,796 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with my Berlin Itinerary

I am not sure why you feel you need a private guide the second day, it's all easy to do on your own. A walking-tour is a good way to see the main sites in Mitte and hear the history.

Topography of Terror is between Checkpoint Charlie and your hotel but the Berlin Wall Memorial is near Nordbahnhof, take S-Bahn from Potsdamer Platz

You can prebook online a slot to go up the Reichstag dome

this thread gives people's view on the various extant stretches of the Berlin Wall tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187323-i135-k9177…

Meals in Berlin are generally very good value so you don't have to eat just wurst or in your hotel

Tauentzienstrasse and Ku'damm are good for shopping but not the only area by any means. The Mall of Berlin is near your hotel, also the smaller Potsdamer Arkaden (which also has some places to eat)

Edited: 2:46 pm, January 18, 2016
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
6,649 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with my Berlin Itinerary

The East Side Gallery is overrated, in my view, and it's becoming increasingly difficult to get photos due to traffic and graffiti. Irony of ironies, the city is planning to put a fence in front of it!

Other things you might want to consider is a cruise on the river; the DDR Museum; the Stasi HQ; and the Tränenpalast.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
38,880 posts
626 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with my Berlin Itinerary

No need for a Private Guide you could easily do on your own or even just go with Original Berlin Walks or Insider Tours for 12 Euros on a Walking tour and cover those things.

Glen Head, New York
Level Contributor
818 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with my Berlin Itinerary

I chose to do the private cause my son doesn't like to do things with others on a tour. I would like to do as much as I can on my own! I just don't want to wander aimlessly not knowing what I am doing or where I am going. BTW Lynda, I cracked up when you said I will be eating wurst at my hotel. I am staying at the Ritz Carlton Club Level and they have 5 food presentations daily. So I wanted to make the most of this. haha

I picked the second day, cause day one is the first time my son is seeing his girlfriend after two months study abroad. I wanted to make day one low key for them.

Is the Story of Berlin worth doing? Did I pick the right area to shop? I love to shop!

Deb

Glen Head, New York
Level Contributor
818 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with my Berlin Itinerary

Let me specify I like boutique and unique shops shopping not malls.

Deb

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
6,649 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with my Berlin Itinerary

Then you'll be shopping in the wrong area. You'd probably be better in the area around Hackescher Markt, which has a much more eclectic mix than the Ku'damm, which is mainly chains and designer shops.

Is the Story of Berlin worth it? My experience is too old now to be particularly relevant, but I did enjoy it. There are few museums about the history of Berlin in the city, the others are more national. Try to see their nuclear bunker as well.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,796 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with my Berlin Itinerary

I never thought you would eat wurst in the Ritz Carlton, I wrote "just wurst or in your hotel" (note the "or")since you mentioned Currywurst and was simply trying to point out that eating out in Berlin is not normally going to be expensive.

The Märkisches Museum is dedicated to the history of Berlin, it's a fairly traditional display, more my style than Story of berlin. The Ephraim Palais has very interesting exhibitions on the city and is in the Nikolaiviertel which has an interesting variety of shops. The Knoblauchhaus by the Nikolaikirche church is also worth a look http://www.en.stadtmuseum.de/

Edited: 3:35 pm, January 19, 2016
Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with my Berlin Itinerary

I don't know about which kind of traveller or tourist you are.

Anyway by a good mix of walking and subway you can visit a lot of things and you can do that by yourself.

I would add: 1) schloss Charlottenburg 2) Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gedächtniskirche 3) Fernsehturm

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,355 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with my Berlin Itinerary

There are some nice boutiques on the side streets near the Story of Berlin

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,796 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with my Berlin Itinerary

Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church is between Zoologischer Garten station and KaDeWe department store which is probably a must-see for a shopper (even if you don't actually buy anything beyond a souvenir bag!)

Fernsehturm/TV Tower is at Aleaxnderplatz, not all that far from the Nikolaiviertel

(I mention the other places so you see what you could combine)