We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thursday 14 January - afternoon walking tour?

Irvine, United...
Level Contributor
205 posts
13 reviews
Thursday 14 January - afternoon walking tour?

Hi there.

We are arriving into Schoenefeld at 10.35am on Thursday 14th and leave Berlin early on Saturday morning. We'd like to do a walking tour but they all seem to only be in the morning at this time of the year.

Does anyone know of a walking tour (happy to pay) that leaves at say 12.30pm ish? Want to make the most of the first day / get our bearings.

We are staying in Oranienburger Straße (MEININGER Hotel Berlin Mitte) and also have a Reichstag slot at 4.30pm that evening.

Thanks in advance

London, United...
Level Contributor
20,962 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Thursday 14 January - afternoon walking tour?

I'm fairly sure there aren't any, at least not with the two most reputable companies, Insider Tours and Berlin Walks. But even if there were, I doubt you'd have time for it: they last about four hours and you will have to be at the Reichstag at 4.00 for your 4.30 slot.

From the Meininger you can walk down to Unter den Linden and take your time walking along it to the Brandenburger Tor, passing some of the city's most iconic and interesting buildings and sights: the Berlin State Opera, Humboldt University, Bebelplatz and the memorial to the Nazi book burning, the statue of Frederick the Great, the Zeughaus, and the Neue Wache. At the Brandenburger Tor you'll be a stone's throw from the Reichstag.

To prepare for this personal walking tour, you can read a little about all these here:

https:/…Along_Unter_den_Linden

and elsewhere on line, but you'd be best investing in a good guide book: the Rough Guide for choice, or the Insight Guide.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
41,013 posts
664 reviews
2. Re: Thursday 14 January - afternoon walking tour?

Original Berlin Walks the tours are only in the morning at this time of year at 10 and 10:30 as they go to the other area to pick up the rest of the people as that is the same tour.

berlinwalks.de/public/…Discover

Irvine, United...
Level Contributor
205 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Thursday 14 January - afternoon walking tour?

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

I had thought about taking the afternoon to get lunch and see some sites near the Reichstag - either by walking or using S-Bahn.

Do you think its possible to take in Holocaust Memorial, Brandburg Gate, Potsdammer Platz & Check Point Charlie & pick up some lunch & get to Reichstag by 4/4.15? All or some?

London, United...
Level Contributor
20,962 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Thursday 14 January - afternoon walking tour?

If you want to see the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe (aka Holocaust Memorial) be aware that the most important and affecting part of it is the museum/documentation centre beneath it. You need a good hour for it, and may have to wait to get in, as only a fixed number of visitors is allowed inside at a time. In that case, you won't have time for Potsdamer Platz and Checkpoint Charlie. If you just want to walk through the outdoor site, it won't take you very long. Nor will the Brandenburg Gate, so yes, you could then manage to rush around Potsdamer Platz.

You can safely omit Checkpoint Charlie, a pointless tourist attraction, unless you are keen to have your photo taken with a fake American soldier.

My original suggestion will take you down Unter den Linden to the Brandenburg Gate past some of Berlin's genuinely impressive (as well as important) sights, and if you don't hurry you will be able to see the Memorial as well: it's just a few steps from the Brandenburg Gate.

Edited: 2:21 am, January 04, 2016
Irvine, United...
Level Contributor
205 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: Thursday 14 January - afternoon walking tour?

Thanks Alabastron.

I think we are going to do as you suggest skip off the Unter Den Linden to see the memorial and depending on time the museum underneath. Perhaps do Potsdammer Platz after the Reichstag.

Do you have any suggestions for anywhere to eat on the Linden? (I'm vegetarian but my husband is a meat eater). I have seen that Chipps gets a good write up. Its on Jagerstrasse - not sure thats too far off the Linden or not.

6. Re: Thursday 14 January - afternoon walking tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 06, 2017