We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Museum Island visit in one day

Sydney
Level Contributor
920 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Museum Island visit in one day

Hello,

I have six days in Berlin and will buy a 3-day Museum pass. I know it is not ideal, but I need to cram the Pergamon, Bode, Altes and Neues into one day. I will shortly be booking timed slots for the Pergamon and Neues museums, and I think I will choose times at the opposite ends of the day, so the other museums and a lunch break can be fitted in between.

My question is in respect of the timed slots: Is it necessary to enter right at the allotted time, or within a window? (Eg. I recently booked my entry to the Schonbrunn Palace in Vienna. I chose 2pm, but the ticket allowed for entry any time between 2 and 2.30pm). That would allow me some added flexibility.

Also, with certain areas of the Pergamon closed off, what would be a reasonable time to allot there?

Thanks for your advice.

Best Seller
Berlin Bike Tour
585 Reviews
from $38.30*
All-in-One Berlin Shore Excursion...
10 Reviews
from $119.60*
Best Seller
Discover Berlin Half-Day Walking Tour
1,813 Reviews
from $16.70*
London, United...
Level Contributor
20,647 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Museum Island visit in one day

Dear Nibbles55, please don't try to visit these four splendid museums in a day. You will be able only to nibble at them (sorry, but that was irresistible) and each one of them is a full, four-course satisfying dinner that needs time to swallow and assimilate. By the time you've limped through ti the exit of the fourth you'll have severe indigestion. And serious museum fatigue. And you may not remember a single thing you've seen.

Since you have six days in Berlin you really don't need to do this. Get the three-day pass, and spread your visits amongst your other plans.

So don't miss any of them - you should also fit the Alte Nationalgalerie in if you can - but not all at once. You will thank me for this advice - which I imagine is the advice most of those who know Berlin's museums (and they are some of the best in the world) would give you.

Edited: 9:52 am, April 24, 2015
London, United...
Level Contributor
20,647 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Museum Island visit in one day

Your questions:

>in respect of the timed slots: Is it necessary to enter right at the allotted time, or within a window?<

Within a 30-minute window.

>Also, with certain areas of the Pergamon closed off, what would be a reasonable time to allot there?<

The Pergamon actually houses three large museums, so it depends on your interests. The Pergamon Altar is closed, but the Museum of Islamic Art, and, I believe, the Museum of the Ancient Near East are open, as are the Market Gate of Miletus and the Ishtar Gate. You could easily spend four hours there on a quick walk-around. Or you could pick and choose. It took me four half-day visits to the Pergamon over several years to finally find the energy to get up the stairs to the Islamic Collection (it was worth the wait).

smb.museum/en/…home.html

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
39,064 posts
626 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Museum Island visit in one day

"but I need to cram the Pergamon, Bode, Altes and Neues into one day"

How does the rest of your itinerary look to do 4 of these in one day?

Sydney
Level Contributor
920 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Museum Island visit in one day

Jordansbulls, here is a quick overview of my itinerary.

I realise some days are less than ideal (especially Sat & Sun), but the public transport connections are all quite efficient, and in fact this is the 4th attempt to arrange things. I am trying to balance museums with outdoor activities that give me a taste of daily life. I am staying at H10 hotel Ku'damm.

I am prepared to sacrifice the Altes museum to make the Saturday easier, and I can also take a break to browse at the Book market if I need a change of pace. Having said that, if you can suggest any logical improvements I will be most receptive.

Wednesday: Arrive 6pm from Poland (so no jetlag)

Thursday: Insider tour, Topography of Terrors, Potsdamer Platz, Film Museum (open till 8pm)

Friday: Buy & commence Museum pass at Hamburgerbahnhof , Palace of Tears, Jewish Museum,

Komische oper performance at 7.30pm. (I don't intend to return to the hotel till after the show, and the Hamburgerbahnhof will be limited to 2 hours maximum - this is clearly the most tiring day, IMO)

Saturday: Pergamon, Bode, Altes (optional), Neues, Reichstag dome visit at 7pm

Sunday: Mauer Park flea market in the morning, Gemaeldegalerie and Applied Arts Museum in the afternoon

Monday: Underground Berlin tour, Eastside Gallery, Kreuzberg walk (self-guided)

Tuesday 26: Charlottenburg, leave for airport at 4pm

Since I will have seen Schonbrunn, Charlottenburg could be dropped in favour of a "make-up day", where I see anything I might have had to miss previously.

I welcome your thoughts.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
39,064 posts
626 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Museum Island visit in one day

Yeah you have a packed itinerary. I think Monday you would be able to get one of the Museums in on Museum Island.

Sydney
Level Contributor
920 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with Museum Island visit in one day

Problem is, the State Museums are closed Mondays. I'll just prioritise and see the key things, in the hope there will be future visits.

Australia is a wonderful place to live, but it takes a long time and costs a lot to travel to Europe, so I'm pushing myself hard to squeeze a lot in. God knows when I will eat.....

Jordansbulls, do you think it is reasonable to give Charlottenburg a miss? I will be in Innsbruck and Vienna earlier in the trip, and will take in three imperial palaces in those locations. I guess you can only see so many gilded rooms. That frees up several hours; my flight is not till 7.30pm on the Tuesday.

London, United...
Level Contributor
20,647 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with Museum Island visit in one day

The Pergamon and Neues Museums are both open on Mondays.

Sydney
Level Contributor
920 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with Museum Island visit in one day

Thanks Alabastron; I failed to pick up on that. I will see how I go shifting things around.

I appreciate all the advice.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,790 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with Museum Island visit in one day

Friday needs reorganising geographically as Komische oper is near the Palace of Tears and not so far from Hamburger Bahnhof. Or Museum Island for that matter, so my suggestion is to do one of the Museum Island museums that day and leave the Jewish Museum, which is in Kreuzberg, till Monday when, in addition, the museum is open till 10pm

To me the Eastside Gallery is missable unless you are a huge fan of artistic graffiti. If you want to see the Berlin Wall in its historical context as a divider of neighbourhoods, go to the Bernauer Strasse Berlin Wall memorial instead, a shortish walk from Mauerpark (Sunday fleamarket)

Edited: 7:15 am, April 25, 2015
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,790 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with Museum Island visit in one day

If you have done the palaces (and gardens) in Vienna, then yes you can leave out Charlottenburg.

With that extra time let me repeat about the Berlin Wall Memorial berliner-mauer-gedenkstaette.de/en/the-histo…