We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sightseeing

N. Ireland
Level Contributor
153 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
sightseeing

Anyone experienced the "hop on off " bus that take you around the city. ?

Can't decide if that is the best option for major sights or to do an organised City Tour.

Only have 1 and 3/4 days.

Advice please with thanks in advance !

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,321 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sightseeing

I did the bus tour a couple of years ago and the commentary was good but not as good I think as a tour with a real tour guide. Also you do tend to have to wait around for a while when you want to hop back on. Check out New Berlin tours which do free walking or bike tours (they work for tips). I didn't actually do one of these when I was there last week (although I can recommend their pub crawl) but I met people who did and they were very impressed. It is run by a young crew and you cannot fault their enthusiasm.

Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sightseeing

We did the hop on/hop off bus tour last month. It's a great way to get an overview of the city when you first get there, as you can find out where all of the major sites are located without walking from one end of Berlin to the other. You can then pick and choose what sites you want to return to later that day or another day and explore those places at greater length. As for the waiting time to hop back on the bus, we never had to wait more than 10 minutes for a bus to come along (even though they supposedly run only every half hour). Also, your ticket for the bus is good for the entire day (up until 6:00 p.m. if I recall correctly).

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
530 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sightseeing

what's the name of the bus and the cost?

Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sightseeing

The name of the bus is, I believe, Circle Tour or Circle Line. Unfortunately, I can't remember the cost but it wasn't unreasonable. Sorry!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sightseeing

Hi I have recently returned from Berlin and the only organised tour I did was the free Berlin Tour http://www.newberlintours.com/nbt/. We had a fantastic guide, a Canadian guy whom has lived in Berlin for a while. The major sights are within walking distance and I cannot speak highly enough of this tour.

There is also a Free Munich Tour if you are also heading down there.

N. Ireland
Level Contributor
153 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sightseeing

Many thanks folks.

All information a help, looking forward to my trip next month.

N. Ireland
Level Contributor
153 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sightseeing

Many thanks folks.

All information a help, looking forward to my trip next month.

arizona
Level Contributor
34 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sightseeing

We were in Berlin in July and had great fun using the all day bus pass to get on and off wherever we wanted to. It was very inexpensive for a pass and I think the buses came by every 10 or 15 minutes. We asked our hotel manager where to get the bus and which one would take us all over the town. We were on the bus even late one night (10:00 p.m.) visiting the check point charly spot.

The bus was great as we could go at our own speed. (Oh yes, and the buses were fast!)

9. Re: sightseeing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 pm, August 22, 2009