We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drinking Customs in Berlin

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Drinking Customs in Berlin

Hello,

I have been watching this forum with interest and have already gained some valuable information from other postings! I shall be visiting Berlin for a week from Thursday 28th September to Thursday 5th October and have had the fortune to rent an appartment in Prenzlauerberg!

This will be my first visit to Berlin, but not Germany-the last time being lake Constance (Bodensee) in 2000. Whilst doing all the normal sightseeing I have also earmarked some good bars to check out. Do you normally have to order beer at the bar or do you get a table and wait for service? Does one pay for each round or do you pay at the end as was the case in Duesseldorf and Cologne? Any other tips on 'bar etiquette' would be useful!

I also note I have the fortune to be in Berlin on German Unity Day on 3rd October! Is this is a public holiday in Germany and what sort of festivities may take place? Will the Brandenburg Tor be a good place to check out on that day or should I head over to the Oktoberfest at the Zentraler Festplatz? Finally what's public transport gouing to be like on that day?

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,306 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drinking Customs in Berlin

Hello hedonista - I don't know about the bar etiquette particularly but as it was a drink related question I thought I would put my two-pennorth in about the pub crawls that are available in Berlin. We did the New Berlin pub crawl a couple of nights ago and it was brilliant fun. It was 10 euros per person and you got free beer to start with for 45 minutes and then free vodka shots. They take you to 4 bars and then a club. When we bought drinks at the bar we paid strraight away just as in England but that maybe on account of being on a pub crawl. the area was around Orianburger strasse and although we sat watching the ladies of the night plying for trade with their waspish 18inch waist girdels - we were in a large group and felt safe enough.

We met people from England, French Canada, Mid America, Spain etc etc. - it was very entertaining. the only drawback was when they drop you at a club seemingly in the middle of nowhere. lol. we changed trains twice to get there and were far too disorientated (ok. drunk then) to work out how to get back to the centre so we had to hop in a taxi. But if you had the wherewithall to ask the right questions at the beginning of the night I am sure you could avoid this small dilemma.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,366 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drinking Customs in Berlin

Hi,

it really depends on the bar you go. In a normal (cocktail) bar you normally get yourself a table and wait for service. In most bars you pay at the end. In very busy bars it can also happen that you've to pay after each round.

Tip should be around 10%. It is usual to round up to the next €.

There are some official events on Oct. 3rd. I don't know what exactly as most germans (like me ;-) don't celebrate this day too enthusiastic. It is a bank holiday and we are just glad that we don't have to work then. If I remember rightly there are fireworks...but I don't know where/when exactly.

:-)

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drinking Customs in Berlin

Hi,

Thanks for your responses...sounds like you had a good time jean-s ;o)

Thanks for the sound advice solid8...just wish we had as many public holidays back in the UK!

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drinking Customs in Berlin

Hi,

Thanks for your responses...sounds like you had a good time jean-s ;o)

Thanks for the sound advice solid8...just wish we had as many public holidays back in the UK!

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drinking Customs in Berlin

As solid8 already said it really depends on the bar. Just watch the other guests for a few minutes and you'll soon find out. If it is a cafe/bar/pub which also offers snacks or food you'll be usually served at the table and pay at the end. Nevertheless you still shouldn't have any problems to get drinks at the bar and if they don't do it they will tell you that somebody is coming to your table. There are other places where you can do both - order at the bar or wait for service - or some place where you actually have to go to the bar.

I honestly don't know if there is any celebration going on on 3rd October. You could check the website of the tourist information, www.btm.de, if there is something planed you might find some information there. I'm just happy to have a day off on which I prefer to have a lie in and spend the day with my partner, family or friends.

Public transport will have the timetable of a Sunday on that day which means regular service but just not that often as during the week.

6. Re: Drinking Customs in Berlin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, August 20, 2009