We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi Fare ?

SuW
Staffordshire
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Topic
Taxi Fare ?

How much would a taxi cost from Schonefeld airport to Anhalter Strasse?

How long does it take in a taxi?

As our plane doesn't land until 21.45 I don't think we want to take the train as it is our first time in Berlin.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,555 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi Fare ?

~ 20 km

~ 35 min

~ EUR 26,50

SuW
Staffordshire
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi Fare ?

Many thanks,

Presumably there's a taxi rank outside the airport and we just get one from there.

Are there any firms to avoid?

Is it OK to ask the taxi how much it will cost to be on the safe side?

or is there a way of pre-booking a taxi.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,555 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi Fare ?

This is Germany - a highly regulated country.

Taxis are a kind of public transport in Germany. The tariff is regulated. They must not refuse passengers (only in extreme cases). Etc.

At places taxis wait for customers it's common to pick the first one in the line. Depending on the layout of the taxi stand the ones behind the first one may not even be able to depart before this one.

If you call a taxi to your hotel etc. this is something else. Here you can call of course youre preferred taxi company. Or the "Taxi-Zentrale" which will send you a taxi which is already close to your location.

> Are there any firms to avoid?

Never used a taxi in Berlin.

But as explained above - you have no real choice at the airport.

> Is it OK to ask the taxi how much it will cost to be on the safe side?

The Berlin taxi tariff is binding inside Berlin. Taxi metres must be used. You have the right on a receipt.

Please note that waiting time (e.g. in traffic jams) also counts.

> or is there a way of pre-booking a taxi.

Don't make it unnessarily complicated and expensive.

Such a taxi would charge the waiting time of course, as soon you're not there on time. And where should this taxi wait for you? This is not possible where the other taxis are waiting. A taxi waiting there cannot refuse a passenger.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi Fare ?

There is no need to pre book a taxi as there are always some waiting outside the airport. As abalada already said Germany is a "highly regulated country" so taxis will be metred and all of them will charge you same tariff. There is not much different between the taxi firms and all of them are fine. Anyway, you wont even know which taxi firm you use if you take a taxi from outside the station or hail one in the streets.

It's perfectly fine to ask the taxi driver how much it will cost you to get your destination. I do that sometimes as well if I have not that much cash on me. Anyway, the last time I took a taxi from Schönefeld to where I live (which is even further away from the airport than your hotel) I paid less than 40 Euros.

SuW
Staffordshire
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi Fare ?

Many thanks for your help.

You never know we might feel brave enough to take the train - it just depends if our flight arrives on time, and how simple the train would be. If not, we'll jump in a taxi for speed and simplicity.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,939 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi Fare ?

>You never know we might feel brave enough to take the train

I never thought of such an activity as "brave". :-)

> it just depends if our flight arrives on time, and how simple the train would be.

buy a tticket, walk the 200 m to the train station, enter the train, stay until you reach your desired station, leave the train. What can be simpler?

> If not, we'll jump in a taxi for speed and simplicity.

Simplicity - maybe... speed - no way. The train is much faster.

SuW
Staffordshire
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi Fare ?

OK you're convincing me on the train now...........but when I check the website given it says you have to change trains.........a couple of the times say 1 change and one of them says 2 changes

so how easy it to change trains? is it easily signposted etc?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,555 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi Fare ?

As there are frequent connections, stick to the ones with 1 change only.

Take a printout of the timetable with you. I.e. of the connections you'll mostlikely able to make it with.

As you'll have to change at Friedrichsstrasse station - here a plan of this station.

berliner-bahnhoefe.de/download/lageplan_frie…

You'll arrive at one of the elevated platforms (S-Bahn at Gleis 6, RE trains at Gleis 4 or 2) coming from the right (east) side.

You have to change to the underground S-Bahn platform D which is at the left (west) side of this station.

This is signposted with S1 S2 S25 - the 3 S-Bahn lines using the underground station. There are only 2 tracks. As you have to travel southbound you have to use a train from the left (west) track there. You can take any S-Bahn train there. All 3 lines stop at Anhalter Bahnhof (the stop for your hotel).

9. Re: Taxi Fare ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, August 23, 2009