We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drug Store near our hotel

Venice, FL
Level Contributor
140 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Drug Store near our hotel

We will be staying near the Kudamm U2 entrance. What would be a reasonable type store where we can replenish our shampoo, toothpaste, etc.? How far a walk from the U2 entrance on Uhland Strasse and Kudamm?

Also, do they sell US products such as Crest toothpaste, Listerine, Dove soap?

We will be on a 16 day river board Amsterdam to Budapest and then flying to Berlin for 4 days to visit family. We want to restock then be cause we then will fly to Barcelona and do a 14 day transatlantic. Really don't want to carry all that weight with us.

Thanks

Cheryl

Portland, Oregon USA
Level Contributor
2,681 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Drug Store near our hotel

In Germany. drug stores (Apotheke) sell drugs. For soaps and hair products you'll have to try elsewhere.

If you arrive at the Hauptbahnhof, there is a large store that sells such things. Sorry, I can't remember the name of the place for sure (Mullers springs to mind but I'm not 100% sure).

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,872 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Drug Store near our hotel

dm - Kurfürstendamm 34

http://www.dm.de/de_homepage/

Rossmann - Uhlandstraße 30

http://www.rossmann.de/verbraucherportal.html

> Also, do they sell US products such as Crest toothpaste, Listerine, Dove soap?

I've seen these products also offered in Germany. But not sure if available in the above stores (which are the by the two biggest drugstore chains in Germany).

Things like shampoo, toothpaste are also available at any discounter and supermarket.

Speaking of "brands". In a recent test of different toothpastes in Germany the cheap no-name products of dm, Rossmann, Lidl and Aldi did better than the much more expensive big brand names. Partly considerably better.

Venice, FL
Level Contributor
140 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drug Store near our hotel

Great, thanks so much. I won't have to bring such a big supply from home.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drug Store near our hotel

There is a big DM store on the ground floor of the Europa Center which is directly on Breitscheidplatz where the Kaiser-Wilhelm-Memorial Church is. There you should get everything

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,133 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drug Store near our hotel

Dove and Listerine are available, never seen Crest anywhere. We probably have the same product by a different brand name.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,817 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drug Store near our hotel

#1, Germany distinguishes between a pharmacy -- Apotheke -- which sells pharmaceuticals on prescription and over the counter and also some health care, cosmetic and body-care products, and a drugstore -- Drogerie -- which sells cosmetics, health care, household etc. but no prescription medications or pharmaceuticals. There are Apotheke on almost every corner in Berlin and quite a few Drogerie belonging to the Rossmann, DM and other chains.

OP, you can probably get your toothpaste and shampoo in an Apotheke, but a Drogerie -- or a discount supermarket -- will be less expensive.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,476 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drug Store near our hotel

I've never seen the "ordinary" brands - the Listerine, the Dove soaps, etc - in an Apotheke. The bath, beauty, and dental products they sell are generally of the more upmarket, expensive variety.

You'll find all you want at Rossmann, but if you have a supermarket nearer to your hotel (they'll know at the front desk) you'll probably be able to get it all there.

Edited: 11:45 am, March 14, 2014
Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,817 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drug Store near our hotel

Yeah, Apotheke sell high-end products that are supposedly better for the health or more organic than the mass-market products in a Drogerie. But despite that, both have the same national brands of many items, with the exception that Rossmann also offers its own inexpensive house brands of things like "Perlodent" toothpaste and mouthwash, as does DM. But Crest is not to be found. We have Listerine although you may find it tastes different from the one you're familiar with.

Drogerie also have a section of travelers mini-sized items like mouthwash shampoo, toothpaste and shower gel, which may be of interest to the OP.

Edited: 1:21 pm, March 14, 2014
Venice, FL
Level Contributor
140 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drug Store near our hotel

Thanks everyone. It looks like I can get everything I need at a DM store. I am not worried about Crest. We can always use another brand for the few weeks we will be there. I am sure there are some great brands in Germany too.

Looking forward to our stay in a fabulous city.

Cheryl

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,817 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drug Store near our hotel

DM's house brand for dental care products is "Dontodent." http://www.dm.de/de_homepage/dontodent_home/