We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing face of east Berlin

Tulsa
Level Contributor
20 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Changing face of east Berlin

I was very sorry to hear of the demise of the Hotel Unter den Linden, a solid if not beautiful structure with affordable rooms and a friendly atmosphere in the best of all possible Berlin locations. A question for the locals: is the DDR east being systematically obliterated? What about Warschauerstrasse, or Frankfurter Allee? Is everything going to look like Potsdammer Platz? It's been a year and a half since I've been in Berlin, and I suspect that much has transformed.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,366 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing face of east Berlin

Hi Guillaume,

the eastern part of Berlin is still changing very fast but don't be too afraid that it will be like a gigantic Potsdamer Platz in the future. If you ask me the Hotel Unter den Linden was one of the ugliest buildings in that area so I'm not very sad that it isn't any more. But Mitte is a special case and not comparable to the rest of Berlin's East. I'm sure that Friedrichshain and Prenzlauer Berg will keep their special atmosphere. By the way - The Frankfurter Allee has been rebuilt in the last few years....it is looking great again.

;-)

Tulsa
Level Contributor
20 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changing face of east Berlin

Thanks, Solid8,

For the update. Yes, I have to agree, the Hotel UDL was ugly, and I always figured that, situated as it was at the heart of the Mitte, its days were numbered. But I've also stayed in the Simon-Dach district and will look for lodgings there next summer when I return to Berlin. Tschuess!

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,366 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Changing face of east Berlin

Hi,

you still can't go wrong with the Simon-Dach area.

:-)

4. Re: Changing face of east Berlin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, August 13, 2009