We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berlin

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
629 posts
15 reviews
Berlin

Hi just got back from Berlin and if honest so disappointed.

But please let me explain

I have always wanted to go and have it on my list of place to go, I have said to the wife a good option for a City break.

This break was with 25 fellas, so wasn't,t expecting to see too much of the real Berlin

Also the weather was at best -12, and even wrapped up it was so cold.

Please can people restore my faith, as I am considering booking for August and I am hoping people will tell me the city comes to life and becomes the vibrant city I was hoping for. it was like a ghost town at times and I can fully understand with how cold the weather was.

Also we stayed in Alexanderpazt, is this a good location

Will say had a fantastic night in the Hoofenbrau Berlin

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: Berlin

Sorry to hear that you didn't like your stay, but whom can we blame for the weather, specially for the cold in winter? Well, it will be at least much warmer in August and people will be out in the streets having dinner and drinks till late nigth (if it doesn't rain).

Alexanderplatz is a good location, if you want to be in reach of public transport or go shopping. It's certainly not a nice area for sitting outside, having dinner. But I think this has been discussed in this forum over and over...

Good to hear that you had a fantastic night in the Hofbraeuhaus Berlin. Just keep in mind that this place is certainly not typical for Berlin. I'm not even sure if it is typical for Bavaria...

Bautzen, Germany
Level Contributor
852 posts
2. Re: Berlin

Some here probably disagree with me, but I don't recommend to visit the city between November and April. During that time Berlin is a part of Siberia... dark, cold and drab. I think mostly because of the grey postwar architecture. I would never visit Berlin during that time.

During summer the city is completely different. Green, bright, young and full of life. There are beaches in the heart of the city, beautiful parks everywhere, outdoor cafes, boat tours etc.. And in August the hotels are also quite cheap.

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11,913 posts
65 reviews
3. Re: Berlin

Totally agree, Martin. Berlin in winter feels like Russia - and like Italy in summer. It's fine to visit if your focus is on museums and the likes, though.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
8,295 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Berlin

I can imagine! I love Berlin in the summer but I wouldn't dream of going there in the winter. Wouldn't have a clue what do then, while in the summer I go around on a bicycle and enjoy the vibes an outdoor terraces/ beach clubs etc

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
629 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Berlin

Please don't think I am complaining over Berlin, my stay was unevenfull because of the weather. I want to go and do all the great historical sites, and also enjoy warm weather and outdoor eating. I just need to hear the positives, and also a little bit of discussion over when is the right time to go and best place to stay.

Appreciate the responses

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Berlin

I am going in March hopefully it will be a bit warmer then, but anyway it doesent snow in the pub ;) Will temperatures in March put people off going out at night or will it still have a great nightlife?

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
107 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: Berlin

Nightlife will surely be great, but mostly inside. Last year we still had much snow in March... !

London, United...
Level Contributor
21,080 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: Berlin

I've spent time in Berlin in all four seasons, and I quite agree that spring, summer, and autumn are all nicer than winter. But I've had three January visits, and two of them were perfectly successful.

The first was two years ago, when it snowed continuously from mid-November to New Year, and it was very cold during my ten days, but bright some of the time, and the snow was magical. During my third visit, a couple of weeks ago, the weather was lovely: very mild, and sunny a lot of the time. The middle visit, last year, was dismal, dark grey, sombre - but that is due more, I think, to the low cloud that you feel is sitting right on top of your head, than to the grey buildings, though of course they contribute to the general gloom.

But two out of three isn't bad. And I think winter is a good time to visit almost any city, when the museums and galleries and tourist sites are quiet and almost empty of tourists, which is nice.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,736 posts
90 reviews
9. Re: Berlin

Yes ,Summer is more lively with lots of places to sit out and people watch.

I will be there on Weds for 5 days and friends that I was meant to meet up with have had to go elsewhere. Now I have to think what to do with myself!

Edited: 9:21 am, January 27, 2014
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
359 posts
6 reviews
10. Re: Berlin

I think you picked the wrong week. It's been really mild all winter apart from this last week and Saturday night was the coldest I've known it. Walking back home across Oberbaum Brücke in the early hours of Sunday morning with the wind blowing it was crazy cold to the point where the river had frozen over.

Even though I do like the grim bleak winter months in Berlin the city completely changes once the leaves appear on the trees and it becomes a very outdoor city.