We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels in Berlin; The Circus Hotel or Motel One?

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Miami Beach
Level Contributor
3 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels in Berlin; The Circus Hotel or Motel One?

My partner and I are visiting Berlin for the first time arriving September 6. We will be staying 4 nights and then moving on to Bavaria. With this short time a central location would be helpful. We enjoy architecture and museums. Our budget is under $200. per night and should include WIFI in the room. Breakfast would also be nice.

The Circus Hotel gets great reviews and seems to be in a lively area. The one downside is no air-conditioning. I am not sure if it is needed in early September. A suite (one large room) will cost $184. including breakfast.

The Motel One in either Alexanderplatz or Spittelmarkt seem like good choices. Plus these hotels have air-conditioning. The two areas seem central but less lively. The cost would be $165. including breakfast.

I have also considered Arcotel John F, Hotel Mani, Hotel Amano and Hotel Gat Point Charlie. These have nicer rooms but breakfast for two is surprisingly expensive, $35-$40.

Do any of you experienced travelers have a suggestion?

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,220 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Hotels in Berlin; The Circus Hotel or Motel One?

Motel One Alexanderplatz is, as its website says, five minutes walk from Hackescher Markt. For proximity to museums and sights, it's a very good location. Dircksenstrasse has the elevated line, as you've noticed, and apart from that it's not a particularly nice street, or nice area.

Jordansbulls's post has had the unfortunate (in my view) result of putting you off the Circus, which is the top-rated TA hotel in Berlin for the good reason that it is a good, well-liked hotel, and has consequently had more favourable reviews than other hotels. It's quite true that TA ratings are peculiar at times - sometimes a hotel or restaurant will be declared No. 1 for the simple reason that no, or few, other hotels or restaurants have been reviewed at all. Which can mean the opposite of what No. 1 seems to signify. But there is no reason to reject a No. 1 hotel or restaurant simply because it is No. 1. There may be good reasons for the high rating, and there often are.

As I said earlier, I think that of all the hotels in which you've expressed interest, the Circus has the best location. It's in a lively neighbourhood with lots going on, a very good choice of eating and drinking places, and reasonable -if not the closest - proximity to most of the things you're likely to want to see and do. If I had to choose between staying at Rosenthaler Platz, or staying in Dircksenstrasse, I wouldn't hesitate for a second. But you'll be perfectly all right if you decide to stay at the Motel One in Dircksenstrasse.

Edited: 5:05 pm, December 22, 2013
Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,986 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Hotels in Berlin; The Circus Hotel or Motel One?

The Circus Hotel is very popular. Everyone we've steered there sings its praises.

I know this may be difficult for you to believe, coming from Florida, but air conditioning is relevant in Berlin only for a very few weeks a year in the peak of summer at the end of July and the beginning of August (and not every year at that). By September, temperatures are usually down in the low 20s or less and the aircon is superfluous. I would not choose a hotel in Berlin based on its air conditioning.

Rarely, we have a week or two in September where the thermometer climbs to a summery mid-to-high 20s during the day, but then cools off to the high teens at night.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
23,572 posts
519 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Hotels in Berlin; The Circus Hotel or Motel One?

@ Quiltneedle,

Not denying that either, even the Circus Hotel had a review of terrible and several reviews of poor.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Hotels in Berlin; The Circus Hotel or Motel One?

Black Dougas describes very well my experience at the Circus Hotel. I can higlyrecommend it - - the hotel, the staff and its location with regard to public transport. The Museums Insel is just a pleasant walk from the hotel, as is the Hackescher neighborhood.

15. Re: Hotels in Berlin; The Circus Hotel or Motel One?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 24, 2014