We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berlin 5am

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Berlin 5am

Hi! I will be arriving in Berlin at 4:20am in the morning in January (from an Amsterdam-Berlin overnight train). Our hotel doesn't take luggage until 7:30, so I'm not sure what we should do. Also,we were thinking to do the 11:00 walking Berlin tour from Brandenburg gate.

Also, just in general, are there any recommendations for 2 days in Berlin (yes, I know it's too short but we have no choice :/)? Should we buy any passes?

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,236 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Berlin 5am

You should check if you can't stay on the train until a more civilised hour: I'd be surprised if that wasn't possible. You certainly don't want to be wandering around Berlin in the cold and dark for hours!

I assume you're planning to do the New Berlin free tour from the Brandeburg Gate? May I suggest you change the plan and do either the Insider tour or the Berlin Walks tour - both companies employ knowledgeable, enthusiastic guides and their tours are excellent. They're not free - they cost €12 - but the "free" tour isn't free either; you'll be expected to tip.

http://www.berlinwalks.de/public/

http://www.insidertour.com/

Both give a 25% discount with the Welcome Card, which you should certainly investigate as it can save you a few euros. There are various options, and you can find out about them here:

http://www.bvg.de/index.php/en/index.html

Edited: 1:31 pm, December 15, 2013
Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,401 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Berlin 5am

>You should check if you can't stay on the train until a more civilised hour: I'd be surprised if that wasn't possible.

???

I'd be surprised if that WAS possible. The train will soon pull out of the station, either to another destination or, if it ends in Berlin, to a holding track. In either case they cannot stay on board. Finding a bakery or coffeeshop and grabbing some breakfast inside the station will be the best thing to do, they open at 5 a.m.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Berlin 5am

"You should check if you can't stay on the train until a more civilised hour: I'd be surprised if that wasn't possible."

Sure possible if they want to get all the way to Prague! That night train runs between Amsterdam and Prague and Berlin is just one stop of several.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,401 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Berlin 5am

Again ??? as they mention the hotel in Berlin and there is no mentioning of Prague in the question at all...

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,290 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Berlin 5am

Alabastron, staying on the sleeper train only works at a terminus like the Scotland to London sleeper at Euston.

Tina ,I suggest you find a cafe in the Hauptbahnhof and stay there untill you can drop your luggage off. Wandering around Berlin in the cold and dark will not give you the best start to the day.

Inchicore, Dublin...
Level Contributor
973 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Berlin 5am

Tina,

this is a really difficult question. My proposal would be to buy a dayticket Berlin ABC and travel to somewhere by S - Bahn, e.g. Potsdam. On workdays the first trains should be operating already, at the weekend they run throughout the entire night. When you arrive, the first cafes might be open. You have a good breakfast and travel back to Berlin.

Holger

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,236 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Berlin 5am

>Alabastron, staying on the sleeper train only works at a terminus like the Scotland to London sleeper at Euston.<

Thanks for not joining the chorus of derision, bongoblog. :-) Yes, I know. I was assuming, on no evidence, that Berlin was the terminus. Wishful thinking!

Since the coffee shops in the Hbf open at 5, you'll be ok, Tina.

Edited: 1:44 am, December 16, 2013
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
23,625 posts
519 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Berlin 5am

As far as tours I would recommend doing the Original Berlin Walks or the Insider Tour Walks as well they are more highly recommended than the New Berlin Free Tours. And if your hotel does not accept luggage until 7:30 I would suggest to go there anyway and either just sit in the lobby and wait until they can take your luggage. Not sure what you would want to do at 4:30 in the morning anyway.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Berlin 5am

The Food Court in the station building opens at 4:30am within the week, 5:30am on Saturdays and 6am on Sundays. Others open at around 5:30am. You can get an overview here: einkaufsbahnhof.de/de/…

If you want it a bit nicer, Schwarzes Cafe in Kantstrasse is open 24 hours each day except on Tuesdays when it is closed between 3 and 10am: schwarzescafe-berlin.de/www.schwarzescafe-be…

Tripadvisor reviews are here: tripadvisor.de/Restaurant_Review-g187323-d71…

So, there is no need to go to Potsdam to get breakfast.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,251 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Berlin 5am

5AM could be a good time to get in a techno club if you are not too tired ;)

Around midnight the lines are too long but by 5 they might just have dissappeared.