We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proximity of subway/rail to Mercure Airport Hotel?

Bloomsburg
Level Contributor
515 posts
264 reviews
Save Topic
Proximity of subway/rail to Mercure Airport Hotel?

Hello. I have posted before here on this subject. Please bear with me, as I am just trying to "refine" my ideas a bit, hopefully with a little input from the helpful posters here @ TA. We will arrive next May (15th) into Tegel at 7:00 a.m. with nearly a 23 hour layover before our very early departure flight the next morning from Tegel @ 6:00 a.m. Because our departure flight is a 6:00 a.m. (and we will have to be up at 3:00 and off to the airport at 4:00 a.m.) and my apprehension regarding being late for this flight, I have decided to stay at the Mercure Airport hotel, even though I am aware that most people here on TA advise against staying near the airport. I am aware that there is absolutely nothing to do in the vicinity.

The advice I am seeking is, what distance from the Mercure are public transportation options into Berlin? Where do I pick up a train, and is it pretty easy for a novice to Berlin to understand the transit system (we are from a tiny town in the US where there is NO public transit - no kidding!!) Are any signs on the subway/buses in English?

Despite the fact that we are not young and will be exhausted from our particular travel arrangements (nearly 18 hours from the time we leave our home, drive 1.5 hours to the airport, fly from MDT-ORD-TXL, plus layover in ORD), we want to see at least some of Berlin. At this point I am hoping we can drop our bags at the hotel, take a bus or rail into Berlin, arrange a walking tour of Berlin, eat lunch, and maybe if we are ambitious and not too weary from our travels, go check out the zoo for a few hours.

Thank you in advance for any advice & information.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,963 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Proximity of subway/rail to Mercure Airport Hotel?

I'm honestly not sure if it's walkable - I'd advise checking Google Earth - but it's probably best to walk back to the bus stop Luftfracht, near the tunnel into the airport, and taking the 109 or X9 bus to Zoologischer Garten. You can get just about anywhere from there. A taxi would be €20-ish and may be preferable.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,670 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Proximity of subway/rail to Mercure Airport Hotel?

fahrinfo-berlin.de/Fahrinfo/bin/query.bin/en…

and give into the search field "Kurt-Schumacher-Damm 202"

You can walk to the stop "Luftfracht" (approx. 500 m) from where you have the buses X9 and 109 to Zoologischer Garten (Kurfürstendamm) and the bus TXL to the Hauptbahnhof, Unter den Linden and Alexanderplatz.

The zoo is next to the Zoologischer Garten train station (who would have ever thought this).

Or take the TXL bus to Brandenburger Tor (Brandenburg Gate) from where you can follow this walking tour (which is largely identical with the remaining part or the bus TXL route).

…berlin.de/bauen/…strecke1.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unter_den_Linden

Best will be probably to buy day tickets for public transport (EUR 6,70 per person). You can buy these tickets already at Tegel Airport where you have a BVG counter and ticket machines you can switch to English. But you can also buy from the bus drivers.

Note that you have to validate the tickets once before first using them. These ticket validators are next to the ticket machines, on the platforms and in cases of trams and buses on board.

…bplaced.net/deutschland-a-h/bvg-vbb-u-bahn-…

> Are any signs on the subway/buses in English?

What signs you need at all when taking a bus? The stops are shown on displays with their names. For the airport it shows besides the German "Flughafen" also "Airport". But otherwise stop names are not translated.

http://666kb.com/i/ark11jnabe6kxxkd5.jpg

> and is it pretty easy for a novice to Berlin to understand the transit system

One very easy thing: a local public transport tickets covers all means of local public transport: regional trains, S-Bahn (suburban trains), U-Bahn (metro), trams, buses and ferries.

What makes it a bit complex in Berlin (even for Europeans) is the sheer size of the city and public transport options. At S-Bahn and U-Bahn stations you have maps showing all public transport (roughly the map as shown in the very first link I gave). At other stops you have local area excerpt maps.

Zoologischer Garten, Hauptbahnhof (main train station) and Alexanderplatz are important train stations and transport knots. You have virtually from everywhere direct connections to at least one of these stations. And from there you can take the buses 109, X9 or TXL back to the airport / your hotel. These bus lines are served during the day at least every 10 minutes.

Bloomsburg
Level Contributor
515 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Proximity of subway/rail to Mercure Airport Hotel?

Hello, and thank you for your replies. Thank you for the detailed information and links, abalada. Frankly, being from a very small US town with no public transportation (senior & handicapped mini buses only) my husband and I have really only had minimal exposure to public transit, and tend to just avoid it whenever possible and walk; believe me - if it is possible to get off at the wrong stop, we will! Also, thank you darrenmcc - I have read many helpful posts from you here on TA (and if fact, you mentioned in a previous response to me a Holiday Inn 4km from the airport - I believe this is the HI Berlin - City West, Rohrdamm 80). We may do exactly as you mention and "walk back to the bus stop Luftfracht, near the tunnel into the airport, and taking the 109 or X9 bus to Zoologischer Garten", since we are both fit walkers and will not be encumbered by luggage at that point. Do you happen to know if the HI Berlin-City West is within walking distance to a subway or bus stop into the city? I am attempting to reach the hotel directly via e/mail to ask them exactly that! They (the H.I.) are showing lower rates and much less restrictive cancellation policy on their web-site for early bookings.

Bloomsburg
Level Contributor
515 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Proximity of subway/rail to Mercure Airport Hotel?

Opppps - apologies. Upon further reading of the Holiday Inn Berlin West website, it states "500 m to underground". Don't know how I missed that the first time through.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,963 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Proximity of subway/rail to Mercure Airport Hotel?

The HI is indeed around 500m to Rohrdamm station on on the U7, and the HI is a nice hotel. To get to the central areas, take the U7 to Wilmersdorfer Strasse and walk the short distance to Charlottenburg station for the S-Bahn. That route also takes you through Bismarckstrasse, about 1km from Charlottenburg Palace, which is well worth a visit - though admittedly, would take a lot of your precious time.

To get to Zoo from Rohrdamm by the route outlined above is around 23 minutes.

Bloomsburg
Level Contributor
515 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Proximity of subway/rail to Mercure Airport Hotel?

Thank you SO MUCH darrenmc!! You are vey helpful!

7. Re: Proximity of subway/rail to Mercure Airport Hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, November 23, 2014