We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Booking in Berlin - Directly or 3rd Party???

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
25,220 posts
523 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Booking in Berlin - Directly or 3rd Party???

When you generally book your hotel when visiting Berlin, do you generally go directly to the hotel's website or book thru a 3rd party like Expedia, Travelocity, etc?

I'm just curious on what most people do when booking. And this isn't just for Berlin but for any city when visiting in Europe or Asia.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,637 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Booking in Berlin - Directly or 3rd Party???

I do both. First, I look at this website, www.hrs.com and then I go to the hotels own website to see if they are cheaper or not. I will also look on the city website to see if they have other offers, and then I read the reviews here on Trip Advisor.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Booking in Berlin - Directly or 3rd Party???

I always use the hotel's website to book. If they are more expensive I ask them to price match and they have always agreed.

I prefer to deal directly with the hotel, you get to choose your specific room, and I find that you generally get better treatment, for example I have never heard of anyone booking directly getting the over-booking treatment. That, along with the worst rooms, seem to be saved for people who use booking sites.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Booking in Berlin - Directly or 3rd Party???

Both, depending on where I get the better deal.

But also made the same observation as djh1, you get a better room and better service when you book directly.

Edited: 3:15 am, October 31, 2013
Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,365 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Booking in Berlin - Directly or 3rd Party???

.....but only if you speak German ;)

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,556 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Booking in Berlin - Directly or 3rd Party???

No envy please, Pericoloso;-)

Cancellation policies are another point to consider and compare, and these are often better through booking portals than directly with the hotel. I often use HRS because of that, especially if plans are not 100% set in stone.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Booking in Berlin - Directly or 3rd Party???

>>>.....but only if you speak German ;)<<<

???

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
25,220 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Booking in Berlin - Directly or 3rd Party???

So it probably is better for sure to book with the hotel directly. I think a reason people go thru the 3rd party is because of the language barrier maybe and also avoid to call internationally. Like if you are coming from the U.S. You may not want to be calling overseas.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Booking in Berlin - Directly or 3rd Party???

When I call in Berlin to book a hotel, it's only a national phone call and still I do it by email or their booking tool. Always better to have something written in hand.

Btw. almost everybody in tourism speaks English.

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Booking in Berlin - Directly or 3rd Party???

I do both, I check Expedia, HRS and such for prices and recommendations, then I check the hotel web-site and decide by price difference, if the hotel offers the same I book direct, if not through a 3rd party, so far I never had different treatment weather I booked direct or through another party, even got an upgrade at Moewenpick which was booked through Expedia.

After all I only stay 1-4 nights at one place if I loose that because the 3rd party screwed up it will not break the bank, Adlon and such are out of my price range.

I might call a hotel in Germany, but that's not where I go usually, I don't call Hotels in Spain or any other not German or English speaking country.

So far I never had any problem any which way I booked, knock on wood.

Edited: 12:27 pm, October 31, 2013
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
25,220 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Booking in Berlin - Directly or 3rd Party???

@ Post #5.

I haven't had trouble with cancellation of hotels. Most places give you to the day you come prior to 15:00 hours. Some you have to cancel 2 days beforehand to get full value back.