We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 hour layover At TXL anything to reasonably do?

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
262 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
10 hour layover At TXL anything to reasonably do?

Looking for advice, my wife and I are using FF miles to fly from Chicago to Budapest and the most direct route has us landing at 7:00AM and then departing at 5:00PM to Budapest. I'm not sure if Air Berlin will allow us to catch an earlier flight (if there is one) but from what I have read TXL is a miserable airport to kill time in. We would be traveling around the beginning of December and have never been to Berlin. Is there anything we can reasonably do spend the time. We are not wealthy so anything really expensive is off the table but I would be interested in any advice. Thanks

New York
Level Contributor
2,268 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 10 hour layover At TXL anything to reasonably do?

Yes, yes, go into Berlin. If you want to save a little money, take the bus from Tegel. The busses leave every 10-15 minutes and take about (from memory) only about 20-30 minutes to Unter den Linden. The busses also leave from there. The simple way to spend time is down UdL to the Brandenburg Gate. (There's a Starbuck's with a good view.) The Holocaust Memorial is just behind the US Embassy on the south side of the gate. You can walk along the Tiergarten Park to Potsdamer Platz and the Sony Center or not. Then you can either walk back past the Gate to the Bundestag. YOu probably don't have time to take a tour. Then go BACK down UdL towards Alexander Platz (with the TV Tower). You can take a left or right on Friedrichstrasse - a good shopping street. Then go father away from the gate to Gendarmen Platz - the churches and surrounding buildings are 1st rate. Then farther down to Alexander Platz. You pass the Opera, the University (Humboldt was the father of the US style of higher education - although the current systems are quite different). The History Museum and other museums on the north side of UdL are all excellent. Behind them are the ones on the famous museum island. BTW, Cafe Einstein is on UdL between the Gate and Friedrichstrasse. It's a hang out for German politicians, reasonably priced. There's a LOT more to Berlin than this, but it's a good start. Notice all the water. Berlin has the Spree, the Havel and a canal or two. The waterways used to be sewers. Now the best new housing is on the water.

New York
Level Contributor
2,268 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 10 hour layover At TXL anything to reasonably do?

Yes, yes, go into Berlin. If you want to save a little money, take the bus from Tegel. The busses leave every 10-15 minutes and take about (from memory) only about 20-30 minutes to Unter den Linden. The busses also leave from there. The simple way to spend time is down UdL to the Brandenburg Gate. (There's a Starbuck's with a good view.) The Holocaust Memorial is just behind the US Embassy on the south side of the gate. You can walk along the Tiergarten Park to Potsdamer Platz and the Sony Center or not. Then you can either walk back past the Gate to the Bundestag. YOu probably don't have time to take a tour. Then go BACK down UdL towards Alexander Platz (with the TV Tower). You can take a left or right on Friedrichstrasse - a good shopping street. Then go father away from the gate to Gendarmen Platz - the churches and surrounding buildings are 1st rate. Then farther down to Alexander Platz. You pass the Opera, the University (Humboldt was the father of the US style of higher education - although the current systems are quite different). The History Museum and other museums on the north side of UdL are all excellent. Behind them are the ones on the famous museum island. BTW, Cafe Einstein is on UdL between the Gate and Friedrichstrasse. It's a hang out for German politicians, reasonably priced. There's a LOT more to Berlin than this, but it's a good start. Notice all the water. Berlin has the Spree, the Havel and a canal or two. The waterways used to be sewers. Now the best new housing is on the water. BTW(2) - St. Louis has an excellent collection of German Expressionists. You might take a look before you start your trip. It's not my taste, but it's important.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
262 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 10 hour layover At TXL anything to reasonably do?

Thank you. Well our trip is scheduled and I think we will do a walking tour. Reviewing the thread I noticed a question was asked about Air Berlin seat fee. As I understand it if I want to have a seat before I check in for the flight it would cost me $22 for each segment, If I want the extended leg room seats it is $80 per segment. That is because of the fare class of our ticket and that we no longer a recognition level traveler. I think if you are gold or platinum, or not traveling on a frequent flyer ticket, you would probably be able to reserve a seat without the fee. Once again thanks everyone.

Apollo Beach...
Level Contributor
11 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 10 hour layover At TXL anything to reasonably do?

You will have an awesome day in Berlin. I would recommend a 30 euro taxi to the brandenberg gate, you can see many sights from there on foot. Then pik up the hop on/hop off red bus for a full tour of the city. Spend 2 hours at KaDeWe hit the rooftop garden for gourmet food floor on level 6 and lunch on level 7.

You will have a great day!

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
262 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: 10 hour layover At TXL anything to reasonably do?

Excellent suggestion, I did not even think of the hop on hop off bus. We are going to head to the ;ibrabry to get a map. Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
15,838 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: 10 hour layover At TXL anything to reasonably do?

I'm sorry, but I don't think that is a good suggestion. I wouldn't waste your money on the HoHo bus. The 100 and 200 buses cover almost exactly the same ground, take you past most of Berlin's big sights, and cost you only the ordinary fare: €2.60. You can hop on and off for the two-hour duration of the ticket, and if you want to take the 100 one way and the 200 the other way, it will still cost only €5.20.

It's entirely a personal choice, depending on your interests, but if I had just a few hours to spend in Berlin I would not spend two of them at the KaDeWe, wonderful though the food department is.

Do the walking tour - or take one or two of RobLaw's suggestions if you want to go solo.

Edited: 9:49 am, September 26, 2013
17. Re: 10 hour layover At TXL anything to reasonably do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 28, 2014