We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help plan my vacation

Dallas, Tx
4 posts
Save Topic
Help plan my vacation

Hey all,

I am going to germany this Fall. The last time, I was in Munich and it was about 8 years ago. I LOVE german winters.

My questions is that I am a student on a limited budget, and I want to get the most bang for my vacation buck. Where should I go? Frankfurt? Munich? Berlin?

I want someplace full of history, a real true German Expirence.

Any reccomendations?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,843 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Help plan my vacation

You certainly can tour the excellent Mercedes Benz museum and also the Porsche museum in Stuttgart, and next door in Sindelfingen is the largest Mercedes Benz assembly plant which can also be visited. Stuttgart is where the car was invented, and you can see the first car and motorcycle in the Mercedes Benz museum among about 180 other vehicles including Mercedes through time, racers, and cars driven by famous people. Stuttgart has some other interesting sights such as Europe's second largest mineral springs and Europe's largest combination zoo-botanical garden in Wilhelma with its nice Moorish architecture of this old palace, and plenty of other museums. The Spring beer festival is Europe's largest, and the Fall Europe's second largest. There is also a Weindorf (Wine Village) that attracts many visitors. From the fall on it is possible to visit a Besenwirtschaften for the new wine and good Swabian food, often in the vintners dining room or backyard. Stuttgart is home to Germany's largest Christmas Market which is one of the oldest and most beautiful. Nearby, 15 minutes away by S-bahn, are two other themed Christmas Markets that attract over a million visitors each: Esslingen Medieval Christmas Market and Ludwigsburg Baroque Christmas Market.

There are excellent places to visit in and around Stuttgart, and you will see few German tourists and almost no foreign ones. Look at some of my recent postings and also the GoList I wrote. Within 100 km (60 miles) are two excellent old college towns (Tuebingen, Heidelberg); the northern Black Forest; the Schwaebische Alb; the spa town of Baden Baden; the old walled towns of Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Dinkelbuehl and Noerdlingen; the excellently preserved nice old monasteries of Maulbronn and Bebenhausen among many others; two beautiful fairytale-like castles Hohenzollern (Hechingen) and Lichtenstein; numerous castle ruins; Germany's largest perfectly preserved Baroque palace and its extensive gardens at Ludwigsburg plus many other old palaces; numerous towns with nice old centers such as Esslingen, Besigheim, Schwaebisch Hall; the highest cathedral spire in the world at Ulm which is climbable; plenty of vineyards along the Neckar and its tributaries; and Stuttgart's excellent opera and ballet.

The above probably would take weeks to do, and there is plenty more to see and do that wasn't mentioned.

22. Re: Help plan my vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:22 am, August 13, 2009